Author Topic: 69 GT350 Battery Discussion  (Read 1689 times)

Offline VikingNJ

69 GT350 Battery Discussion
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »
A bit of info after much researching with many including Bob G and Vince L of SAAC over the years:

4spd 351W mustang or shelby w/o AC would have been a group 22F battery and 42 amp alt. Not sure about Auto w/o AC.

Auto 351W mustang or shelby w/ AC would have have been a group 24F battery and 55 amp alt.

4spd 351W shelby with battery option #1 was group 24 and 42 alt.

4spd 351W shelby with battery option #2 was group 27 and 55 alt.   This is my car. Still only assuming alt engineering number since I dont have original build sheet. I do have Lois Eminger sales order sheet. I wish someone could confirm alt engineering number for me.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 GT350 Battery Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
A bit of info after much researching with many including Bob G and Vince L of SAAC over the years:

4spd 351W mustang or shelby w/o AC would have been a group 22F battery and 42 amp alt. Not sure about Auto w/o AC.

Auto 351W mustang or shelby w/ AC would have have been a group 24F battery and 55 amp alt.

4spd 351W shelby with battery option #1 was group 24 and 42 alt.

4spd 351W shelby with battery option #2 was group 27 and 55 alt.   This is my car. Still only assuming alt engineering number since I dont have original build sheet. I do have Lois Eminger sales order sheet. I wish someone could confirm alt engineering number for me.
The option #2 was a little used non typical option on a GT350. It was not automatically triggered by air conditioning . It was a stand alone extra cost option.  A 69/70 GT350 with air conditioning typically received the group 24 with the red caps.A 69/70 GT500 came with the group 27 battery as standard equipment because it was found as necessary on hard starting hot BB engines. The group 27 is over kill on a GT350.  Unless you have documentation to support it  I would not suggest installing it. Historical accuracy is just one issue.  If the car was ordered with the option then a special group 27 battery tray will be needed also. The group 27 battery will not fit in the smaller group 24 tray. The larger battery is not needed on a GT350 like it is on a GT500 and the added weight of the large battery forward of the front suspension is not desirable for good handling.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »
Fuel wire lines for 69/70 Mustangs are a mess to figure out, as I know of at least 3 if not 4 configurations/lengths.  Some depend upon the RH side drop-off as you surmise; others use a rear pan grommet hole with a bullet male/female connector.  The right side I believe is for a dual exhaust whereas the center hole is for single exhaust.   
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »
Bob,
My car  is well documented Shelby gt350 with Battery option 2. I spoke with you years back about it. Its a non-ac 4 speed car. Shelby battery options were independent of AC. I have a group 27 battery (NOS, never activated, probably wont use), a NOS grp 27 battery tray and a 55 Amp Alt (NOS, however its pre April 69 ink stamped, not later version which i will get a repro soon). Since I don't have my build sheet I would like if someone had battery option#2 could definitively tell me what is the alt eng numbers.
Thanks for all you help over the years Bob. If you recall I am buddies with Rich W.
Nils

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
Bob,
My car  is well documented Shelby gt350 with Battery option 2. I spoke with you years back about it. Its a non-ac 4 speed car. Shelby battery options were independent of AC. I have a group 27 battery (NOS, never activated, probably wont use), a NOS grp 27 battery tray and a 55 Amp Alt (NOS, however its pre April 69 ink stamped, not later version which i will get a repro soon). Since I don't have my build sheet I would like if someone had battery option#2 could definitively tell me what is the alt eng numbers.
Thanks for all you help over the years Bob. If you recall I am buddies with Rich W.
Nils
You misspoke and I wanted to correct only so others don't get the wrong idea. Shelby battery options were TYPICALLY dependent on AC. You would typically get the next level up battery if A/C was a factory option. The same goes for the alternator. A upgraded battery was a seldom seen battery option outside of AC equipped cars on most year Shelby's. 67 and 69/70 were the only years you could get a upgraded battery that was independent of AC on a Shelby. A 69 GT350 4 speed with the option #2 battery build sheet may prove to be a hard one to come up with compared to a A/C equipped GT350 given they were not requested much for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:31:15 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »
For those reading a 69/70 GT350 4 speed could ether get a group 22, group 24 or a group 27  battery depending on how the car was equipped and or extra options requested.

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
Bob,
I was only referring to "Shelby Only" battery options...If I order a shelby with battery option #2 you get optional parts like 27 battery and 55 alt that normally only  comes with AC even if you didnt order AC. With a regular mustang you could'nt order the optional parts w/o AC. That's all I was referring to.  Sorry for the confusion.

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
Ok, so an Exide Classic 24FC Auto Battery with the Autolite group 24 battery cover/topper, w/red removable caps. I've seen the single piece cover (non-removable caps) but it's noted that the red is too dark.

For the fuel sender wire in the trunk, I need to cut and splice in some yellow wire long enough so the grommet reaches the right/passenger side trunk drop off.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 02:01:43 PM »
Bob,
I was only referring to "Shelby Only" battery options...If I order a shelby with battery option #2 you get optional parts like 27 battery and 55 alt that normally only  comes with AC even if you didnt order AC. With a regular mustang you could'nt order the optional parts w/o AC. That's all I was referring to.  Sorry for the confusion.
You are mistaken if you think that a 69/70 GT350 with A/C "normally" got a group 27 battery as you state in your post.  It did not . In the case of Shelby GT350 with AC you would "normally " get a group 24 red cap battery and 55 amp alt.  You got the 55 amp alternator regardless of if high capacity group 24 red cap battery or group 27 battery. The group 27 battery was not automatically triggered by the AC option on the GT350 (or regular 351W Mustang). The group 27 battery DID have to be a additional ordered option on a GT350 regardless of if AC equipped or not. The option #2 battery option is a seldom seen option on a 69/70 GT350 . This can and is confusing so please don't take it that I am beating you over your head with this but I just want you and also those reading to understand that this a unusual option. You have the documentation so it is all good.       

Offline tobkob

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:08 PM »
You are mistaken if you think that a 69/70 GT350 with A/C "normally" got a group 27 battery as you state in your post.  It did not . In the case of Shelby GT350 with AC you would "normally " get a group 24 red cap battery and 55 amp alt.

+1...  #2060 had A/C and group 24 battery.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 11:57:58 PM »
Split this discussion off of the main thread as it appears that it took on a life of its own  ::)

Looking at some of the buildsheets I have copies of for 69 GT350 with AC I see

- batteries listed as "AB" 

- alternator "5F"

See batteries of "AA",  "AB" and "AD" listed for non-AC applications

I thought we went over this (may have been a Mustang discussion) a number of years ago on the site.  Just recall going through allot of battery and alternator codes for 69 small blocks
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:05:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)