Author Topic: HiPo Engine Markings  (Read 136 times)

Offline evantugby

HiPo Engine Markings
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
Gents,
Engine/transmission media blasted, disassembled, cleaned, replaced seals gaskets, resurfaced the heads, torque specific bolts, resealed engine, painted it.

Now that I'm at this point I wanted to find out what markings this engine would have had. 

The only markings I am aware of is the "OK" on the backside of the engine behind the bellhousing and the number "3 or 4" on freeze plug on dirvers side head in white grease pencil.

Thanks for your input! 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:11:33 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: HiPo Engine Markings
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »
did you read that blog i pm'd you?? if shows those details.

I have not yet. But I thought you mentioned it was for a different year kar. I'll go check it out right now. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:35:47 PM by evantugby »
5F09C331248

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 09:53:33 PM »
Evan:  My '65 K car has the car's VIN # stamped on the engine block on a boss that's below the #1 cylinder, and the same stamp on the front, bottom-side, of the car's top loader 4-speed trans.  Ron

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
On those valve covers, a sanding block with 80 grit will leave a nice machined surface.  Keep the block moving lengthwise so the 'lines' are consistent.  The spark plug clip bracket was originally zinc plated, you can simulate that with some chrome/silver paint.

There's parts missing off the motor that should have painted the same time as the engine assembly.

Most of the detailing in an engine is proper finishes, I have only ever seen a couple markings.  Most of the hi-po markings are covered by engine paint or concealed after assembly.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:39:40 PM »
Evan:  My '65 K car has the car's VIN # stamped on the engine block on a boss that's below the #1 cylinder, and the same stamp on the front, bottom-side, of the car's top loader 4-speed trans.  Ron

I have vin stamps on block and transmission as well.  I was more referring to the paint daubs and markings that would have been found on the engine. 

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »
On those valve covers, a sanding block with 80 grit will leave a nice machined surface.  Keep the block moving lengthwise so the 'lines' are consistent.  The spark plug clip bracket was originally zinc plated, you can simulate that with some chrome/silver paint.

There's parts missing off the motor that should have painted the same time as the engine assembly.

Most of the detailing in an engine is proper finishes, I have only ever seen a couple markings.  Most of the hi-po markings are covered by engine paint or concealed after assembly.

Spent the last 30+ minutes scanning over your 2 year blog.  You did an amazing job.  I got very wide-eyed when I saw how you separated out all the bolts/nuts/washers/screws.  Wow!  Your attention to detail is phenomenal.  Well done on that 65 convertible Kar you did.  I will use your blog as I move along!  Thank you for pushing that my way. 

Copy on the spark plug bracket.  And, which parts specifically am I missing from the engine that should have been on there when I painted it?

Evan

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:26:01 PM »
On the K convertible blog are several pictures of the engine assembly before and after paint, which show which components were attached.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 65Autolite

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:49 AM »
Gents,
Engine/transmission media blasted, disassembled, cleaned, replaced seals gaskets, resurfaced the heads, torque specific bolts, resealed engine, painted it.

Now that I'm at this point I wanted to find out what markings this engine would have had. 

Your best bet would have been to strip engine block, intake, heads with aircraft paint remover and look for inspection paint markings before media blasting.

The only markings I am aware of is the "OK" on the backside of the engine behind the bellhousing and the number "3 or 4" on freeze plug on dirvers side head in white grease pencil.

Was the "OK" and number on freeze plug found on your specific engine or are you referencing those details from another restoration?

The markings on another HiPo engine block isn't necessarily correct for yours or mine.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2014/02/just-details1966-shelby-mustang-gt350.html

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:10:58 AM »

To add on the fins I start off with the 85 grit but finish with 150 grit which duplicates the brush on the valve covers from the factory. The oil filler/breather neck was zinc plated also. FYI the valve covers were black wrinkle paint from the factory. I don't know if this has been covered with you but Ford didn't use exhaust gaskets . It was metal to metal. I have the manifolds surfaced flat and then smear a thin amount of high temp silicone around the exhaust port before bolting on. Others use graphite I've heard.  Regardless the exhaust gaskets on a hipo (or any Mustang V8) look a little weird to most hipo enthusiasts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 02:14:29 AM »
The only markings I am aware of is the "OK" on the backside of the engine behind the bellhousing ..............

Are you reporting that you found this mark or that you read about it on the internet somewhere?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)