Author Topic: HiPo Engine Markings  (Read 2065 times)

Offline evantugby

HiPo Engine Markings
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
Gents,
Engine/transmission media blasted, disassembled, cleaned, replaced seals gaskets, resurfaced the heads, torque specific bolts, resealed engine, painted it.

Now that I'm at this point I wanted to find out what markings this engine would have had. 

The only markings I am aware of is the "OK" on the backside of the engine behind the bellhousing and the number "3 or 4" on freeze plug on dirvers side head in white grease pencil.

Thanks for your input! 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:11:33 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: HiPo Engine Markings
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »
did you read that blog i pm'd you?? if shows those details.

I have not yet. But I thought you mentioned it was for a different year kar. I'll go check it out right now. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:35:47 PM by evantugby »
5F09C331248

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 09:53:33 PM »
Evan:  My '65 K car has the car's VIN # stamped on the engine block on a boss that's below the #1 cylinder, and the same stamp on the front, bottom-side, of the car's top loader 4-speed trans.  Ron

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
On those valve covers, a sanding block with 80 grit will leave a nice machined surface.  Keep the block moving lengthwise so the 'lines' are consistent.  The spark plug clip bracket was originally zinc plated, you can simulate that with some chrome/silver paint.

There's parts missing off the motor that should have painted the same time as the engine assembly.

Most of the detailing in an engine is proper finishes, I have only ever seen a couple markings.  Most of the hi-po markings are covered by engine paint or concealed after assembly.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:39:40 PM »
Evan:  My '65 K car has the car's VIN # stamped on the engine block on a boss that's below the #1 cylinder, and the same stamp on the front, bottom-side, of the car's top loader 4-speed trans.  Ron

I have vin stamps on block and transmission as well.  I was more referring to the paint daubs and markings that would have been found on the engine. 

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »
On those valve covers, a sanding block with 80 grit will leave a nice machined surface.  Keep the block moving lengthwise so the 'lines' are consistent.  The spark plug clip bracket was originally zinc plated, you can simulate that with some chrome/silver paint.

There's parts missing off the motor that should have painted the same time as the engine assembly.

Most of the detailing in an engine is proper finishes, I have only ever seen a couple markings.  Most of the hi-po markings are covered by engine paint or concealed after assembly.

Spent the last 30+ minutes scanning over your 2 year blog.  You did an amazing job.  I got very wide-eyed when I saw how you separated out all the bolts/nuts/washers/screws.  Wow!  Your attention to detail is phenomenal.  Well done on that 65 convertible Kar you did.  I will use your blog as I move along!  Thank you for pushing that my way. 

Copy on the spark plug bracket.  And, which parts specifically am I missing from the engine that should have been on there when I painted it?

Evan

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:26:01 PM »
On the K convertible blog are several pictures of the engine assembly before and after paint, which show which components were attached.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 02:10:58 AM »

To add on the fins I start off with the 85 grit but finish with 150 grit which duplicates the brush on the valve covers from the factory. The oil filler/breather neck was zinc plated also. FYI the valve covers were black wrinkle paint from the factory. I don't know if this has been covered with you but Ford didn't use exhaust gaskets . It was metal to metal. I have the manifolds surfaced flat and then smear a thin amount of high temp silicone around the exhaust port before bolting on. Others use graphite I've heard.  Regardless the exhaust gaskets on a hipo (or any Mustang V8) look a little weird to most hipo enthusiasts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:14:29 AM »
The only markings I am aware of is the "OK" on the backside of the engine behind the bellhousing ..............

Are you reporting that you found this mark or that you read about it on the internet somewhere?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
Are you reporting that you found this mark or that you read about it on the internet somewhere?

I've read about it reported on many HiPo engines.  Some even with an orange splash of paint next to it. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
I've read about it reported on many HiPo engines.  Some even with an orange splash of paint next to it. 

That's one of the issues with the internet lots of stories and reports of "mine had this or that"  I've found over the years. Even at shows I've asked many times about markings and many will report that that is the way they found it while a few will tell me in a soft voice that they made it up or saw it in a picture some where and it looked neat so they put it on their car. Only to find out they have no idea of when or where the make came from.

For the others with their claims that it was original to the car and they had pictures I've never had one single person send me a photo afterwards.  Even had one that claimed that the mark was original to the car and reproduced until I mentioned I thought that was odd since that worker didn't work at the plant the car was built at.

To the idea that OK was on the rear of the block originally many may just be confused or have a poor memory and we're seeing "paint mark migration" since it is often found on the bell housing of a manual transmission.  I've only seen and have pictures of the HP and large orange daub in 40 years of looking

I would not recommend anyone add these unless they could show that their car was built that way.

Here is one of the neater and more legible examples from a 65 someone else shared long ago

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:16:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »

To the idea that OK was on the rear of the block originally many may just be confused

This should clear up the internet confusion/myth http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8517.0

A few years ago I was looking at my bellhousing and saw a big K on it. For a second I thought it was "K" as in Hipo then remembered these pictures from the Cleveland plant and realized it was nothing special
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline evantugby

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »
another example of an unrestored HiPo engine with HP and orange splash. 

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2014/02/just-details1966-shelby-mustang-gt350.html

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »
another example of an unrestored HiPo engine with HP and orange splash. 

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2014/02/just-details1966-shelby-mustang-gt350.html

The point Jeff was trying to make is that while there are examples, it is not known that every engine had it.  It might have been a quality control issue for a short while or started to be used after a certain date.  If you're not sure your engine had the marking, then just leave it off. 

I understood his point.  I'm just trying to throw examples up here when I run across them.  Rich at the Mustang Ranch in Golden Colorado (or what was the Mustang Ranch) has ran across these markings as well.  I'm sure there aren't to many unrestored HiPo engines left to ever figure this one out though. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:42:41 PM by evantugby »

Offline sgl66

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
Is “OK” or “HP” in question?

HP and orange paint would make sense on the block to tell whoever down the line that is putting on heads, carb, exhaust manifolds etc that a K crank, caps, rods and cam are installed.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65