Author Topic: 66 Shelby headers  (Read 3305 times)

Offline dan green

66 Shelby headers
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »
What was the original finish on the 66 Shelby GT350 exhaust headers?
I believe I have an original set and want to have them coated to duplicate the original finish.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:16:08 PM by dan green »

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: 66 Shelby headers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »
I believe I have an original set and want to have them coated to duplicate the original finish.
Dan,
The ones that I have seen in original photos appear to have just been painted black.  I personally would just have them coated with one of the high temp. finishes in a semi-gloss black.

If you have an original set, I would love to see some pictures if possible.  I have seen very few original sets.  You don't happen to have the original H-pipe on the same car, do you?

Thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:23:13 PM »

Typical flat black header paint was used at the time. Often now seen as coating for Bar-B-ques and fireplace inserts. Don't believe it was ever semi-gloss

Brant if you need pictures of original headers and H pipe (below) - have both pieces for the wife's car sitting in the garage

For the H pipes I've found them both painted and unpainted on original cars.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:48:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dan green

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »

If you have an original set, I would love to see some pictures if possible.  I have seen very few original sets.  You don't happen to have the original H-pipe on the same car, do you?

Thanks.
Brant,
Here a couple of pics of the headers I have.  My H pipe has been cobbled up and only appears to contain a small portion of the original, the flanges for the headers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:42:29 PM by dan green »

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
Thanks, Dan.

Offline dan green

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:35:53 AM »
Mine have a few dents, hope they can be repaired.
Were there any clearance "dents"?  1 looks like it could be there.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:22:36 PM »
Mine have a few dents, hope they can be repaired.
Were there any clearance "dents"?  1 looks like it could be there.

Don't believe originally there were any. Can't recall seeing any on new or many originals that could be described as clearance "dents" will drag my set out and look at them - these have an odd pipe on the drivers side. Have not seen another set like them (taken off a 66 in the 1900 series) in about 73
Jeff Speegle

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 03:24:57 PM »
according to original factory pix, the headers should have scratches and scuff marks on them. they were not treated gingerly by the employees. similar to having marked up intake manifold bolts.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »
according to original factory pix, the headers should have scratches and scuff marks on them. they were not treated gingerly by the employees. similar to having marked up intake manifold bolts.

Yes likely originals may have had some - not sure anyone has documented how they were packaged for transportation to SA. As far as judging I'm not sure I would want to try and get judges to go for dents and allot of scratches on a restored car  8)

Guess you meant to post a picture of what your referring to
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 08:30:10 PM »
I think "could" is better to say about the circumstance then "would" . In a pit (as at SA) or on a lift installing small block headers is not that difficult to get in without scuffs . Part of the reason for scraps is caused by cheap paint . The paint that was used was not very durable let alone not high temp tolerant. a number of pictures show the ash white look of cooked black paint.  I do think it is reasonable to expect some clearance dents given the technology of the day and the humans that were doing the mfg. of the headers . Dents in places that were not specifically for clearance on the other hand are highly improbable IMO. I have several pairs of original header set and although too dog eared to use I can distinguish two that have clearance dents in a similar spot for the shock tower and the other does not. If made precisely no need for clearance dents. Ironically 2 weeks ago I  installed a set of the modern good reproduction ones that Jim C at Shelby parts sells and had to put a clearance dent in a similar spot to ones that were on the originals I had .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 10:39:56 PM »
period pix showing as installed condition

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »
period pix showing as installed condition
You are making the assumption based on that one picture that every single header will look exactly the same. The exact same scuff in the exact same place etc. That is quite a leap of faith. It is more reasonable to think that some could have them and some maybe not given the different people handling etc.. Some maybe more some maybe less etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby