Author Topic: Time for New Rear Springs  (Read 9736 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Time for New Rear Springs
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »

This thread has been very enlightening and I am considering much of what I read here to refinish my springs. However,
I have a question about the reproduction springs verses what is actually in my car. I have an early 67 Fastback and
my original springs are E7ZA AS.  I bought springs from Summit Racing because the price was better and they were Scott
Drake reproductions that said they were for my car. Based on what I have read I was certain I would have to use my
original bottom leaf for the part number. But what I didn't expect was that my other leafs are different as well. In the
other posts in this thread you all seem to have the same springs that Scott Drake reproduced, but I don't. Can anyone
help me understand why mine are different and if I can get that type or if I should just use the Scott Drake ones. It would
bug me forever that they were not right, but I am not a millionaire either. Also my clamps are slightly different as well.

Pictures of my springs and the reproductions.
Your bottom leaf plate reads C7ZA not E7ZA like you wrote .I am not familiar with the Scott Drake ones or summit racing the ones from Detroit Eaton or virgina Mustang are the substitutes I have used in the past when I had to and they worked out fine. You will probably have to change out the straps holding the leafs together as the replacements sometime do not match the original depending on the substitute used.   
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:09:19 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 2112

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 01:09:26 AM »
Are the Repro bands being mentioned those that come on the Eaton Springs or are they sourced elsewhere?

Thank you

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 01:18:18 AM »
Are the Repro bands being mentioned those that come on the Eaton Springs or are they sourced elsewhere?

Thank you
You have to take them off anyway even if they were right (which they aren't) to get rid of the black paint on the leafs . The bands are sourced elsewhere.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 2112

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 01:28:02 AM »
What would that source be Bob?   ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 01:34:17 AM »
What would that source be Bob?   ;)
Shelby parts and restoration  and Virginia Mustang to name a couple.

Offline 2112

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 01:47:18 AM »
10 - 4

Thank you

Offline sgl66

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »
New here but am 2nd owner of 6T09K127xxx for 34 years.

Has anyone seen these bands before? Don't believe original owner ever replaced or had a reason to. I know that I haven't.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 02:28:22 AM »
New here but am 2nd owner of 6T09K127xxx for 34 years.

Has anyone seen these bands before? Don't believe original owner ever replaced or had a reason to. I know that I haven't.

Never seen those used before on originals. Have you looked for a factory stamp on the short leaf/leaves and what did that provide?

Here is an example from a 66 NJ car - though built after your car by a few months

In this case there are springs from two different suppliers that were installed on the car when it was thrown down
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »
I don't see any part numbers stamped but springs show their age in surface corrosion and pitting. Have them wrapped in evapo rust soaked shop towels and plastic now, may uncover something but not too hopeful.

The dimples look more like the style on the bottom in your pic however the style of the middle (darker spring) in your pics do not match mine and mine also do not extend to where the bushing is.

Just to confirm, are the springs in your pic from a hipo? Build sheet says mine are a Z

Will get some better pics up
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:32:40 PM by Sgibbs »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »
The dimples look more like the style on the bottom in your pic however the style of the middle (darker spring) in your pics do not match mine and mine also do not extend to where the bushing is.

Not sure why the two leaves are a slightly different color over all these years - IMHO would not focus on that given that they are 50 years old and untouched

Just to confirm, are the springs in your pic from a hipo? Build sheet says mine are a Z

Since you asked about NJ rear springs not sure that it will make any difference - don't believe any spring supplier used different clamps on just K codes or provided only springs for one of a dozen needed on the line. They didn't at the other plants - some using the same suppliers. K codes used the same rear springs as most if not all of the 66 GT equipped Mustangs - C4ZA- 5556-S from what I've found

Hopefully you can find the stampings with the dates. This might provide some additional clues

Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 11:48:29 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean bands being unique to a K....meant the springs

No luck turning up a stamp or any markings. Need to go dig out previous owners journal of repairs to see if he did any rear spring work

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 06:46:55 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean bands being unique to a K....meant the springs

Springs are not unique to only K codes I've got examples of a couple of GT with the same rear springs as K codes
Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
Been investigating my rear springs situation and I did connect with the original owner, his answer was he didn't remember changing springs but thought about it so he might have..? :-\

I pulled the bottom 3 leafs and the aligning bolts were a dead give away that he had opened them up at some point...a hex head bolt partially rounded off and threads apparently cut with hacksaw and snapped to shorten. (I know he had Shelby under ride bars and roll bar on when he raced it. He also gave me some lowering blocks so no surprise he was unbolting pieces at some point)

The bottom spring is not only missing a part number and paint but also missing a dimple at one end, otherwise the shape seems correct. The other leaves look to be an exact match to what I've seen restored on this site.

I have a new set still wrapped from VA Mustang purchased 10+ years ago. The bottom spring has square ends and the other leafs taper out slightly before rounding off at the end rather than taper in as I've seen here. (See middle pic below...end of top spring came off my car and end of bottom spring is old VA Mustang)

I spoke with VA this morning and they now claim to have springs with a rounded bottom spring that is visually correct...not sure about the others. Has anyone seen or used these recently?

I also spoke with Eaton and their bottom springs are not rounded at the end...not sure how the others taper at the end?

And for those who have seen everything, I had 1 rubber squeak pad that wasn't shredded beyond recognition. Do the 2 round mold impressions on the side and part number on the inside and arrows look like what would have been on an original?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:03:27 AM by Sgibbs »

Offline Linc

• 67 Fastback GT - Clearwater Aqua
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 11:13:53 PM »
What is the best way to determine what paint marks should be on the springs if you don't find any. Will my bottom leaf stamped number lead to any information about it?
============================================
      1967 Dearborn Fastback - Clearwater Aqua - 7F02A120xxx
       I am Linc....  What more could you possibly need to know.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »
What is the best way to determine what paint marks should be on the springs if you don't find any. Will my bottom leaf stamped number lead to any information about it?

Depends on what year

If 68 or later the best, most certain method would be to look at the cars buildsheet.

IF your car does not have any visible markings then posting a question in a new thread with year, build date or projected if a 65-66 date and the engineering numbers from the short leaf of both springs. Unfortunately if these springs have been installed by a previous owner that will do you no good. 

Last resort would be to try and match up a car equipped exactly like yours, built at the same time  and consider using these

Remember that no current class required paint marks and you can only lose points at a show for having them (if applied incorrectly or they are not correct) 

Also consider if they are not correct you are responsible IMHO for everyone that sees and copies your mistake
Jeff Speegle