Author Topic: 1965 Dearborn Fastback with Pony Interior - Center Console Question  (Read 1818 times)

Offline gcdunlap

Hi all:

I have a quick question. I have a 1965 Dearborn Caspian Blue fastback (4-speed) with the blue/white pony interior that I am beginning to restore. Did all fastbacks come with center consoles? I have seen pictures of several similar cars that did not have the center console installed or had it removed at some later date. The car I bought did not have the center console with it, and I assumed that I would have to come across one, and paint it blue to match the rest of the interior... now I am not sure...

Thanks,
Gene
5F09C Caspian Blue Fastback
Indianapolis

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1965 Dearborn Fastback with Pony Interior - Center Console Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »
console was an option. look under the tunnel to see if there are screw holes from a past installation.
5F09C331248

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
Look very close to the brake line.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
If the car does not have A/C, there would have been a bracket screwed to the top of the trans tunnel for the console.  Most that add a console to a car that did not have one originally usually skip the front bracket as it's not completely intuitive how or where to mount it.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
Just to illustrate what Charles was describing

The forward console to floor bracket (picture provided by another member for another discussion - thanks :) Same bracket for 64 - 66

Here is an example of a car where the console was added and they missed/forgot the bracket. No attaching hardware in the two holes in the glove box area

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
     What it looks like installed.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Asm109

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:00:47 AM »
As others have said, console was an option.  With a blue/white pony interior the body of the console would be white with wood grain instead of camera case on the chrome pieces.

I had an A code 66 fastback, silver blue and blue/white pony.  Still one of my favorite Mustang color combos.

I sold the car for two reasons,  motor was tired burned lots of oil and it was an automatic.  I kept the one owner 66 coupe that was my first car.
Candyapple red, std black interior C code and 3 speed manual.  Well I also kept the coupe because the trunk could hold 3 bags of golf clubs, fastback 0 without putting the rear seat down.

Ah the decisions young'uns make.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 12:17:14 AM »
The forward console to floor bracket (picture provided by another member for another discussion - thanks :) Same bracket for 64 - 66

Is that bracket on backwards?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.