Author Topic: 1970 Mach 1 Fender/Rocker details FYI  (Read 807 times)

Offline hux

1970 Mach 1 Fender/Rocker details FYI
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:16:29 AM »
Hi

I am justing starting on a slow rebuild of a Dec 69, Metuchen build M code Mach 1.
As you can see it has had a very bad paint job - originally white.

I have been taking pics as I strip off some of the trim and noticed this detail - the car seems very original under the trim, I have the black detail around the alloy rocker moldings etc.
There front DS guard molding had a nice red oxide paint run where the top rear screw insert went into the panel.  Also I did not find what left the mark in the paint but there is a square imprint in inverse which is quite noticeable.

Not sure if it will help anyone but I thought it interesting.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Mach 1 Fender/Rocker details FYI
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »
Interesting detail that no one would ever see. You have to wonder if the paint was not fully dry when the panels were installed or if all the years of contact produced that. Got a picture of the back side of the panel you took off to show what produced the "stamp"?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline hux

Re: 1970 Mach 1 Fender/Rocker details FYI
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:04:56 AM »
Nothing was on the panel, and nothing fell out.  I am guessing it was some kind of label that has fallen out sometime in the past 49 years.

I have had a play with an image editor and it seems like it says STILSON TOOL down two of the sides and then cant really make out the rest.