Author Topic: Heater Box  (Read 16848 times)

Offline 13Outlaw

Heater Box
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
I an wanting to redo my heater box while I have it out of the car, but all the research I have found shows it to be a smooth flat black(I may mention I have a slight color vision issue so the military tells me) however, mine is kind of a rough texture. Can anyone verify what a Jan built 69 should have? Thanks in advance!
1969 Mach 1 R-Code 4-Speed (Dearborn built Jan 69)
1992 GT 5.0 5-Speed
2003 Cobra
2013 Shelby GT500

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Heater Box
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:48:37 PM »
You  didn't provide if you have a AC/heater box or just a heater but in any case if its the molded section your describing that was not painted originally and just painting it will leave you with a non-factory mono tone finish. Not what your looking for.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 13Outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Ok, it is a non a/c car. Thanks
1992 GT 5.0 5-Speed
2003 Cobra
2013 Shelby GT500

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »
Case will have the look of an original radiator shroud if you've ever seen one of those. Molded plastic (black to dark gray with fibers somewhat visible through the surface.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 13Outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
You are the man, that's what mine has. I'll wash it up an leave it be. Thanks again!
1992 GT 5.0 5-Speed
2003 Cobra
2013 Shelby GT500

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 01:27:14 PM »
130Outlaw,

Did you have to remove the lower metal dash or loosen it to remove the non/ac 69 heater box?  I need to remove mine as well, but have been procrastinating  due to having a back problem.  I assume the dash pad, the clock bezel, and glove box need removed. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 04:22:26 PM »
Did you have to remove the lower metal dash or loosen it to remove the non/ac 69 heater box?  I need to remove mine as well, but have been procrastinating  due to having a back problem.  I assume the dash pad, the clock bezel, and glove box need removed.

Why are you removing it?  To replace the core?

Did it recently on my Boss and didn't have to remove the dash pad, clock or passenger side panel...... Pulled the glove box liner though removing the door allows for better access ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
Why are you removing it?  To replace the core?

Yes, I need to replace the heater core.  I assumed I needed to remove the heater box entirely.  I believe that is what the shop manual recommends, but it shows the instructions for an a/c car.  Perhaps I don't need to drop the entire box for a non a/c car. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 07:11:25 PM »
Yes, I need to replace the heater core.  I assumed I needed to remove the heater box entirely. This is easy to do on a non A/C compared to one with A/C.  I believe that is what the shop manual recommends, but it shows the instructions for an a/c car.  Perhaps I don't need to drop the entire box for a non a/c car.
I think it will be easier in the long run to remove the entire box. you don't have to remove the clock or the dash pad .Just remove the glovebox liner as Jeff suggested. This would be a good time to R+R the entire housing. The foam gaskets have typically dissolved and need replaced plus a good time to repaint and lubricate doors etc. Hopefully the outside is not painted black like so many past owners do. If it has been painted a lacquer bath is in order (along with appropriate precautions).If lucky and not painted , clean outside thoroughly . Some will fog a coat of clear to make the fiberglass case surface pop but you don't want too much as to appear cleared. As much as I know you are doing with your car Bob, if you don't detail the box now you will wish you had later IMHO. Best of luck with project how ever you proceed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »
With the liner out of the way you get a pretty good look at what's involved.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 07:55:42 PM »
I think it will be easier in the long run to remove the entire box. ..........

Hard to get to some of the clips (tried it) with the back half still attached to the firewall.

But in a non-concours - down and dirty way you could leave the passenger ends ones off

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »
Hard to get to some of the clips (tried it) with the back half still attached to the firewall.
I learned this in 1967 on a 66 heater box. Even more of a problem is the box gets damaged so the clips pop off. Ever hear of duct tape (concours grade of course)?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »
If I remove the entire heater box (non a/c), will there be enough room to remove it without loosening/removing the large metal lower dash that is painted black?  I seem to recall trying to remove a heater box once and found out once it was loose that there was no way it would clear the lower dash.  I ended up bolting it back up and I never could get it out.  I can't remember, but I think it was a 70 Mach 1 without a/c, which may be the same as my 69 without a/c. 

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »
West Coast Classic Cougars has a good video on Heater Core replacement, and restoring / refurbishing your heater box:

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »
West Coast Classic Cougars has a good video on Heater Core replacement, and restoring / refurbishing your heater box:

Thanks.  That shows that you do need to remove the lower dash, but that was for an a/c car with a larger heater box.  My car is a non a/c car so I am wondering if I can leave the lower dash installed or not.