Author Topic: Now for something different. #1 Part II  (Read 12926 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Now for something different. #1 Part II
« on: March 29, 2017, 12:45:48 AM »
Well lest see how this goes.  The first part had over 600 views though allot of people held back either uncertain of the rules, games or details. That's ok - since we all have things to learn and share so with that said lets move on to the second half - evaluating when we see, what those facts may mean and what conclusion can we draw from the information provided.

A note before we start. These pictures were not staged nor am I always sure why I took them at the moment. Some were taken so that if I needed something the next day I would have a general idea of what I left in the yard so that I could return if needed soon after. In general, besides taking pictures I often purchase allot of little parts since few others pay any attention to those, other buyers rarely would ask for them, I get to help get a few dollars in the hands of the owners (I want to be allowed free and complete access the next visits) and its often the little stuff that is difficult to find when doing a restoration.

Thought about doing all the details all at once but for this first attempt choose to do them one at a time so that the discussion is more focused and less like a shotgun   ::). Revealing each number one by one as we go through the details

So here is the first picture with the first feature and item numbered so we can call them out and discuss the finer points. Again this is an experiment to see if we can benefit from this sort of thing and figure out if these are worth repeating.

So for the first item -

Identification - What is it?   
Application - What year/years and models was it used on?

Item #1- Identification -                                       Application(s) -

Answer the questions and we should have narrowed down what the vehicle could be and what it could not be. Hope you have fun

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

Re: Now for something different. #1 Part II
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
1. Coupe- Fastback rocker.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
+1 obviously NOT a convertible but what year(s) share the limited amount seen of the body itself? I suppose you need to take in the "bigger picture". UNI-BODY PARTS ONLY can narrow the correct response down to the correct answer(s) for what Jeff is now pointing at as #1. I'm saying to keep in mind that the "other items seen" in the picture, not to assume these parts are actually from the VEHICLE in the picture. Marty just shared recently a picture of a 68 Coupe with many "wrong" parts in the same picture.

Remember, the word "ASSUME" can be broken into three syllables!   
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:41:11 PM »

Glad to see someone that is not fully versed in the 65-66 cars taking a shot at this.  Responses to the first part of this challenge seemed to focus on the 65-66 period

That is the right shape of the rocker panel - eliminating what it isn't, a convertible.  Now is there anything else in the picture and that panel that could narrow down when that panel was used?   

Know we have allot of 65-6 (or even up) members. Guess no one has a car with the sill plate not in place at the moment.
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »
I don't remember seeing that hole in the upper part of the rocker panel on m 66 Metuchen fastback.  Could this narrow it down to a 64.5-65?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:37:25 PM »
Don't know if we are allowed to post pics of our own cars but my car had at least two of the holes so maybe produced prior to Oct of 64, I don't know?  This was taken in 2015 when I did the vinyl on the car between the rocker panel and floorboard...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline preaction

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:43:14 PM »
Fold down rear seat latch covers so Im going with a fastback but cant answer as to a time frame.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
Don't know if we are allowed to post pics of our own cars but my car had at least two of the holes so maybe produced prior to Oct of 64, I don't know? ........

Since this is the sharing and learning stage of the exercise can't see why not as long as we stay on focus. But would not say that it was prior to Oct 64 the possibilities could include Oct 64.  Have to find when they stopped installing a rocker with that feature.

Fold down rear seat latch covers so Im going with a fastback but cant answer as to a time frame.

Getting ahead of us I think.  We'll label just about everything  before we get done ;)

I don't remember seeing that hole in the upper part of the rocker panel on my 66 Metuchen fastback.  Could this narrow it down to a 64.5-65?

Which hole? I see three holes in the rocker panel (item #1) section shown in the posted picture.

And since you are doing this by memory do we have confirmation from someone else as to what year coupe and fastbacks didn't have some hole - yet to be identified.   8)
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:16 PM »
I'm referring to the large hole to the right of the washer, 2/3rds of the way from your "1" and the cover/shield.  The hole is similar in size to the hole for the seat rail bolts.  Charles T. indicated it is a drain hole, but from the picture, it appears to be on the raised interior edge, not in the trough. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53:27 PM »
I'm referring to the large hole to the right of the washer, 2/3rds of the way from your "1" and the cover/shield.  The hole is similar in size to the hole for the seat rail bolts.  Charles T. indicated it is a drain hole, but from the picture, it appears to be on the raised interior edge, not in the trough.

That hole looks like the metal fore and aft may be deformed - Since its a unibody that may be the results of an earlier accident to the front or rear of the car.

I see that hole, one hidden under the washer and a small one at the forward area (to the right and up slightly) - that one, likely for the screw that holes the sill plate in place. Will wait to see what other owners confirm for the two holes in the well of the rocker. Wonder how many feet I hear moving to the garage to check 
Jeff Speegle

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 12:01:59 AM »

Front, passenger side.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:16 PM »
Well it appears we didn't get far with the #1 item. So let me lend a hint or direction

Here are two examples of that same area from 1966 Mustangs

6T07T1522xx (possibly a Nov 65 built NJ car) PS rocker with that smaller second hole next to the drain hole

6R07A1590xx (possibly a Jan 66 built SJ car) PS rocker without that smaller second hole. Only the larger drain hole

Anyone know why the second hole is there or done away with?  All of this helps narrows the range of when and or where the car in question may have been built.
Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »
Is the small hole for plastic clips that retain the wiring harness in that area?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
Is the small hole for plastic clips that retain the wiring harness in that area?

Perfect. In the beginning Ford choose to hold the wiring that traveled over the rocker panel in that trough (on the drivers side). Engineers just had them installed on both sides for what ever reason

Pictures of the clips installed and being used on in the drivers side rocker panel. Lower ones have been painted during a prior paint job :( . To either speed the assembly or save money later (66) cars appear to just have used a piece of gaffers tape over this area to hold the wires in place,

So based on the pictures in response #11 we have a running change from a design with the holes for retaining clips and without the retaining clips.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:46:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »
Jeff just when you think you have it all figured out, I go and post this picture of my drag car - May 68 Dearborn Coupe RH rocker with the wire clip holes!