Author Topic: Early November 66 built San Jose Semi Gloss Black Parts  (Read 1091 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Early November 66 built San Jose Semi Gloss Black Parts
« on: May 14, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
Just double checking for good sources of rattle cans to paint the following items SGB I assume these were all a form of Semi Gloss Black

Hood Supports, Grille Supports (Originally dipped?)
Engine Crossmember Tube
Brake Splash Shields
Transmission Crossmember (originally black, not so on all 67's as some were bare steel)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Re: Early November 66 built San Jose Semi Gloss Black Parts
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »
Richard,
Back up a notch. Ask yourself - What was sprayed? Was it hung to paint, or was it on the car? What was, or could have been dipped? You want finishes from semi-gloss to almost gloss on the different pieces. I recommend your friendly local neighborhood Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace as a source to get different brands.
Hood Supports ?
Please define.
Engine Crossmember Tube
I got mine powdered coated along with the bumper arms. I did this because those items are exposed to road wear and powder coating is very durable. There are many glosses available in powder coating, 20%, 40%, 50% etc.
Brake Splash Shields

These may have been hung or dipped. Either method would leave "drip" marks.
I had some enamel base, semi-gloss black paint mixed by Kelley-Moore to dip upper A-arms and other items in "home made" fixtures. Just another concept.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »
Just double checking for good sources of rattle cans to paint the following items SGB I assume these were all a form of Semi Gloss Black

Hood Supports, Grille Supports (Originally dipped?)

Could you provide a clear (maybe a couple pictures) of the exact pieces your describing? Are the "grill supports" the small shallow U shaped plates used to attach the top grill corners to the argent grill trim surround?

Engine Crossmember Tube

Gloss black would be my choice. Remember to fix or address any damage before you paint. Of course given the focus here would not suggest plastic coating since it changes the look

Brake Splash Shields

SGB

Transmission Crossmember (originally black, not so on all 67's as some were bare steel)

We've been "discussing" this for years. I recall 67 San Jose as black also but have seen my fair share of bare steel. Have not been able to collect enough original black examples to sway the others that also help out setting standards.  Difficult at times, though not impossible to change things once they become standards ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 12:42:42 PM »
I was looking for my door hinge plates and dug out a few more parts that were large and in the way. Small items tend to get lost behind larger ones.
Since I'm between major projects I decided to clean up the large parts I was finding. The cross-member for my SJ car caught my eye.

It was painted black and appeared to be factory paint. As I media blasted it the tell tale signs of dipping came out. The lower sections of the cross-member where paint would drip off had much more paint than other areas. I use medium fine glass so it takes many more passes to remove the drip areas than it does for other areas.
The cross-member has an X and a very deep R as well as the date 2 15 A3, which works for my SJ March 4 speed car.

Disclaimer: Of course, like all things 67, this isn't definitive proof. Just another data point on a car that been in my possession for over 35 years.

edit to correct date
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:04:39 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
I had some pics of my restored cross-member here and then found another set of posts about cross-member color diametrically opposed to what I just stated. So I removed the pics.
Here is the post that caused me to doubt colors:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10093.msg59871#msg59871

Considering the previous owner of this car evidently had stock in a Semi-gloss paint company (and painted my bellhousing blue) I'm doubting the authenticity of my cross-member color.

I think I'll strip it down and go with natural.

Bill

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 06:15:54 PM »
I had some pics of my restored cross-member here and then found another set of posts about cross-member color diametrically opposed to what I just stated. So I removed the pics.
Here is the post that caused me to doubt colors:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10093.msg59871#msg59871

Considering the previous owner of this car evidently had stock in a Semi-gloss paint company (and painted my bellhousing blue) I'm doubting the authenticity of my cross-member color.

I think I'll strip it down and go with natural.

Hmmmm...Mine was black, Oct 66 SJ built, it has been restored to gloss black again. I am confident with this choice.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
Mine have been 3 colors in a week.

And so it goes ...
Bill