Author Topic: Meaning and placement of Inspection stickers and other tags  (Read 2057 times)

Offline rackerm

I have seen numerous pictures of cars, some unrestored, with various inspection stickers. I am interested in duplicating what was done in Dearborn built 73 convertible.

Do the stickers differ between plants?

I've seen an unrestored car with a small square red "ST" sticker on the passenger side window along with a 2"x4" card that read "ATTACH THIS PORTION TO FINAL ACCEPTANCE INSPECTION CARD." My question is what does the red "ST" mean and is the pass window the correct place for it? Also, should the 2x4 card also be attached to the window, if not where does it go? I have not seen this tag or the card in repro or on any other car.

I seen other cars with a black "T" or a  Red "T 1" sticker.  I understand this means trim

In addition the same car had a small square red "E" sticker on the shock tower above the horn. Am I correct to assume the "E" mean electrical. I have not seen this tag in repro or on any other car.

I am familiar with the common tags for "F" "B" "P" "T" reproductions.

I would appreciate anyone's help to decipher the above...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Meaning and placement of Inspection stickers and other tags
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »
One Thing I would suggest as an over view on stickers and something we see at shows is the mixing of predelivery stickers and those that would be left after dealer prep being present or mixed at a show. We sometimes run across cars on show fields where they have some of each and in those cases we have to ask how the owner wants the car to be judged. As as delivered to the dealership (without dealer prep) or as delivered - where many of the assembly line checks and stickers would have been removed.

Owners are often surprised that after sending all the time and dollars they spent getting these details they are deducted for. Things associated to this choice would also be radio antennas, hubcaps seat covers, door edge protectors and so on.

Please consider this before you go down this road on a car that will be displayed or shown
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »
I have seen numerous pictures of cars, some unrestored, with various inspection stickers. I am interested in duplicating what was done in Dearborn built 73 convertible.

Do the stickers differ between plants?

Yes between plant and years also in some examples. In the case it would be differences between Mustangs built at one plant and other Ford models built elsewhere since only one plant was building Mustangs that year.

I've seen an unrestored car with a small square red "ST" sticker on the passenger side window along with a 2"x4" card that read "ATTACH THIS PORTION TO FINAL ACCEPTANCE INSPECTION CARD." My question is what does the red "ST" mean and is the pass window the correct place for it? Also, should the 2x4 card also be attached to the window, if not where does it go? I have not seen this tag or the card in repro or on any other car.

Remember that such stickers would have normally been removed at dealer prep and would not normally still be on the car when delivered to the first buyer. Since 73 was the last year of the "real" or classic Mustangs. A fair number (when compared to other years) were purchased and sold as they came off the transport without dealer prep. The parts yet installed would be in the trunk and other details would differ from cars that had gone through dealer prep since many were just clutter to a regular buyer plus the first owner would want the car completed before they took delivery

As far as the T and the E's  I would agree. Though I've not found a worker who confirmed this it would IMHO be a continuation and consistant with practices (done with ink stamps) we see back to 1964
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:25:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline rackerm

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
Thank you Jeff. You made a very good point regarding pre dealer prep and post dealer prep. I was aware that antennas were shipped in a brown paper bag in the trunk for the dealer to install, but beyond that I am unclear as to where to draw the line here. Is there any documentation on which tags are pre and which are post?

Making matters even more confusing for me, my car was not sold to a dealership, instead it was a Ford Marketing inter company transfer. It was actually shipped in mid June of '73 from Dearborn thru Ford's Newark NJ Preparation Center and then to the recipient, whose name and employee number is printed on the invoice (a Ford employee I suspect) at the Ford Delaware Valley PDC in Pennsauken NJ. According to the Eminger invoice.

Given these circumstances, where is best to draw the line pre dealer, post dealer prep, even though there was no dealer, or some hybrid since it was supposedly prep at the Newark Prep Center?

Thanks again,
Rich

Offline nham3407

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
Rich,

I believe I sent you many of the pictures I had of the pre-delivery 73 convertible. I had a hard time uploading all of the pictures I had of that car. PM me if you would like for me to copy them on a CD and send to you.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »

Given these circumstances, where is best to draw the line pre dealer, post dealer prep, even though there was no dealer, or some hybrid since it was supposedly prep at the Newark Prep Center?

Thanks again,
Rich

Actually that car may have had THE BEST prep of any at the time !!  LOL   Think about it.  Car is built at plant, and may have be a VIP car(maybe not) - if so attention to detail (fit finish and no trash in car- read 5 build sheets) car goes to holding area for "special shipping" (may have gotten preped before leaving).   Car goes to NJ  and is "cleaned again" so pick up by employee doesn't involve REALLY THIS IS HOW WE DELIVER SPECIAL CARS!!!

Mark
P.S.  Marketing guy then drives car to The Hamptons and leaves that the estate the Fords will be staying at that weekend.   (You would love that right! ) Does it have power windows, power top, Auto trans Air Conditioning Tilt wheel, optional alum wheels and a deck luggage rack?
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline rackerm

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:51:24 PM »
Brian,

Yes, Thank you very much for taking the time to upload the pictures they were very helpful. In fact a few of those pictures are directly related to questions in my initial post for this thread. If you have more pictures than what was uploaded, then I would be appreciate you mailing them to me. I will email you my address.

Rich

Offline rackerm

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
Mark,

Maybe right about the prep work.

You guessed it. I have not been able to find out any info about H. Hartman, the Ford Employee (VIP) and I have tried to, but to no avail. The car is loaded, but not every option.... and no luggage rack I am happy to say.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:14:52 PM by rackerm »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 05:20:17 PM »
Thank you Jeff. You made a very good point regarding pre dealer prep and post dealer prep. I was aware that antennas were shipped in a brown paper bag in the trunk for the dealer to install, but beyond that I am unclear as to where to draw the line here. Is there any documentation on which tags are pre and which are post?

There are lists that were provided to the dealer as to the steps and tasks Ford suggested to the dealers as to how to prepare a car after delivery for the first owner but don't believe it is very specific. I think they would have removed anything on the glass (inspection stickers, writing, stamps) attached the window sticker if going on the floor or lot. If it was a customer prepaid order I don't know that that was always done.

Any bags, covers, protective mats would have been removed from the interior. Trunk would be emptied of parts that were shipped with car, those items installed and the packaging removed and thrown away.  Marks removed from tires (four on the ground) and of course a general good cleaning. Often convertible tops, vinyl tops and engine compartments were sprayed with protectants that would need removed before delivery also.

Believe its much easier to build and show the car as delivered if your restoring a car unless there is some odd reason to show it as delivered or you want to stand out.  Of course presenting a car differently from how judges most often see them brings with it concerns and expectations that there may be confusion and point deduction

From your list the car appears to be pretty typical of allot of 73's that were ordered and put away as "collectable cars" in 73.  Much harder IMHO to find low mileage, unrestored non convertibles or lower end drivetrains  now a days because if it.
Jeff Speegle

Offline rackerm

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff. The info and your insight is very helpful and much appreciated.

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 10:54:50 PM »
I would like a copy of the pics/CD if available.  Thanks Mark
Mark
1969 Ford Mustang Sportsroof, 390-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1968
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 351C-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1972

Offline nham3407

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »
Rich, received your message.  I will get them mailed out. I will let you know when they are dropped off with USPS.

Mark, PM me your address and I will do the same.  Glad to help out anyway I can.

Just for reference this is the same car Perkins did the article on for suspension detailing and the proper lifting technique with the tool to avoid to much travel on the upper control arm.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline rackerm

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 11:56:35 PM »
Thank you very much!