Author Topic: '66 original "smog tubes" attaching hardware  (Read 619 times)

Offline socalgt

'66 original "smog tubes" attaching hardware
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »
I've seen them with the ends of each tube flared and the ferrules captive.....and with no flare used with ferrules that slide over the ends of the tubes....were there just two different suppliers?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:42:34 PM by socalgt »

Offline socalgt

Re: '66 original "smog tubes" attaching hardware
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »
I'll be trying to put the original, complete Thermactor system back on my '66 A code engine(p.s. and a/c) so I'm sure I'll be looking for lots of advice/help.  I have a good publication with excellent information and illustrations.  Fortunately I already have the correct, original Autolite carb, and heads(it's a start).

Thanks in advance.....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:18:44 PM »
I've seen them with the ends of each tube flared and the ferrules captive.....and with no flare used with ferrules that slide over the ends of the tubes....were there just two different suppliers?

There were likely a number of suppliers for the originals but that does not imply that they were designed with many differences. Depended on the specifications Ford outlined for the parts. Then of course there were likely another half dozen suppliers that made the service replacements over the next 20 + years that could vary allot more. Have one NOS FE set of tubes that you would almost not recognize since it is so different from the originals. Bought it as a conversation piece only

Only recall the ferrule style for 66's at the moment and of course the flared verses the ferule would require that the head be machined differently. Bob Manuels book likely has some pictures of the details

I'll be trying to put the original, complete Thermactor system back on my '66 A code engine(p.s. and a/c) so I'm sure I'll be looking for lots of advice/help.  I have a good publication with excellent information and illustrations.  Fortunately I already have the correct, original Autolite carb, and heads(it's a start).             

Got to ask - what reference are you using? There was a guide published by Ford each year plus study guides and course manual for training purposes.

Owned my share of cars with the systems on them along with pictures of plenty of systems to help out.

You've got allot of parts (big and really small) to locate. Allot easier in the long run to find a complete take off even with a frozen pump.  Still likely will not include the heads and carb you already have but also not the dist, maybe not the spark plug wire relocators and maybe not mounting hardware

There were allot of Fords with the 66 system got to be out there somewhere

Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »
I have the book "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8" by Bob Mannel.  Good start for knowing all that I need.  I also have the special smog pump & alternator mounting bracket.  They mention the change in the '66 valve covers where a small cutout appears to better accommodate the smog tubes.  I've found some good pictures on the internet and if I find enough from all the different angles, I'm hoping to find and install all the parts. I know there are probably many pictures and info on this site to help as well.