Author Topic: 67 Mustang Interior painting - December built Dearborn  (Read 2139 times)

Offline brennancarey

67 Mustang Interior painting - December built Dearborn
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:25:51 AM »
Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this pls. I am needing to figure out how to paint the interior of my 67 Dearborn FB?
I understand that seam sealing and sound deadner needs to be done and there is some good topics about that here, but what about the actual painting thereafter ?

Some areas I am wondering are:

1. Front dash / Interior firewall (behind the firewall pad) - Does this area get paint if so what color and where does it stop/start/transition ? Also what about the front kick panels how are they painted?
2. Floor pan - its same as external body colouration right?
3. Roof ? What color ? (i know its behind the roof liner but what color)
4. A - pillars?
5. Rear quarter panels - by the vents and front of wheel house what color and is it solid or just a mist coat?
6. Side vent assembly - is this solid paint or just a mist ?
7. trunk - is easy as there is a lot of reference to this as its visible on  the finished car but the rest is a bit sketchy for me..

Pls help and point me in the right direction hereon.

Thks
Brennan
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:06:23 PM by J_Speegle »
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Mustang Interior painting
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:01:28 PM »
Can anyone point me in the right direction on this pls. I am needing to figure out how to paint the interior of my 67 Dearborn FB?
I understand that seam sealing and sound deadner needs to be done and there is some good topics about that here, but what about the actual painting thereafter ?

1. Front dash / Interior firewall (behind the firewall pad) - Does this area get paint if so what color and where does it stop/start/transition ? Also what about the front kick panels how are they painted?

Behind the dash and above would be smooth bare metal. Vertical surface below the dash  a mixture of bare steel (especially in pockets and behind the structure panels) and/or a light, often incomplete coating of red oxide some overspray from the dash painting and minimal to none body color. Often the kick panel area shows a fair coat of dash color from that application

White interior - red exterior example

Top of the dash is often unpainted or thin coats of multiple colors/spray where the painter only painted the dash on and near the surfaces that would be visible- The face of the dash. Along the front edge (covered by the dash pad) would have maybe 3-5 inches of body color from painting the windshield opening. Defroster opening areas were blacked out after body color was applied Could be done with a brush or spray

2. Floor pan - its same as external body colouration right?

Yes mostly in exposed areas. Can be good coverage or rough course overspray. This is an area where the body color overspray settled/rained down on so it is normally the most colored section of the interior except those area directly behind or next to exterior surfaces that were painted. Remember the dolly bare steel circles ;)

3. Roof ? What color ? (i know its behind the roof liner but what color)

Often some light amount of red oxide but often 50% or more bare new steel. In some examples where is a nice coat of red oxide with no body color overspray Some body color can be see along the areas just inside of the roof railing that would have been painted with the body - leaving a shadow from the roof rails

Here is a 67 San Jose coupe example showing a nice full coat of red oxide.  Again this same area was often skipped

4. A - pillars?

Painted the same time (before body color) as the dash and interior door surfaces. Make sure you get the bottom of the door "line" in the original location and the rear upper door edge.

5. Rear quarter panels - by the vents and front of wheel house what color and is it solid or just a mist coat?

Allot of bare metal with often a misting or red oxide from an attempt of painting the inner structures.panels

Example from San Jose though it illustrates the common mixtures of colors and misting on many of the hortizantal surfaces found on the interior.

6. Side vent assembly - is this solid paint or just a mist ?

Light coating to decent coat of red oxide fading away as it gets towards the roof. Can have a little misting of body color with some settling long any horizontal surface
Example from San Jose though it illustrates the common mixtures of colors and misting on many of the hortizantal surfaces found on the interior. Ignore the red oxide rattle can spray someone added on the fastback

7. trunk - is easy as there is a lot of reference to this as its visible on  the finished car but the rest is a bit sketchy for me..

Can be difficult to replicate all the bare non painted surfaces in the trunk so painters/owners often apply allot of red oxide and body color to try and cover the fact that the body has been blasted or stripped in an aggressive manner

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline brennancarey

Re: 67 Mustang Interior painting - December built Dearborn
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
Thks Jeff... !!
 A lot to digest.. let me go and have a look at your ref vs the car and I will be back with a few questions if you dont mind.

Rgds
Brennan
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »
Just a thought but a light coat of stainless steel paint as a base coat in the areas normally bare or thinly painted would not be near as obvious a faux finish as stand alone steel color paint would be with no overspray on top of it . The fogging of the red oxide overspray would further disguise the faux steel finish. Just a alternative to a total red oxide covering that many do which is not typical in the recess's of metal inner structures regardless of plant . Just a more maintenance friendly alternative to the correct historical look
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »
Thks Jeff... !!
 A lot to digest.. ....................

.... I will be back with a few questions if you dont mind.

Like to be complete with my responses :)

And that is what we're here for  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 04:17:52 AM »
Just a thought but a light coat of stainless steel paint as a base coat in the areas normally bare or thinly painted would not be near as obvious a faux finish as stand alone steel color paint would be with no overspray on top of it . The fogging of the red oxide overspray would further disguise the faux steel finish. Just a alternative to a total red oxide covering that many do which is not typical in the recess's of metal inner structures regardless of plant . Just a more maintenance friendly alternative to the correct historical look

Hi Bob, thats a good practical solution, what stainless paint you thinking i.e. like a rattle can ?  My only concern might be that any paint applied over the stainless paint if its a rattle can might have some chemical reaction as the rattle can is a single part paint. any ideas?
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:12 AM »
Hi

Dark moss Green Exterior - Black Interior car.

I did some investigation this weekend and referred to some old pics I took.. This is what I found :

Red oxide on back quarter panel above vent, however it stops just past vent and Green body color starts at back vent and across the back section. It also looks like a bit of Red oxide below the rear window (see my pic).

Wheel houses were green. So the only other bit I am a bit confused about is the inner quarter panel by the lower side louvers , I am thinking red oxide with strong mist of green here? Also the black I see by the window opening over the Red oxide must be incorrect right (previous owner Perhaps?) as this should be red oxide only?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:47:23 AM by brennancarey »
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
Wheel houses were green. So the only other bit I am a bit confused about is the inner quarter panel by the lower side louvers , I am thinking red oxide with strong mist of green here? Also the black I see by the window opening over the Red oxide must be incorrect right (previous owner Perhaps?) as this should be red oxide only?

Hard to tell this last detail since the surface has been disturbed. Are you describing the corners where the rear and side panels join?
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 09:48:56 AM »
Hard to tell this last detail since the surface has been disturbed. Are you describing the corners where the rear and side panels join?

No I am referring to below the rear glass windshield below the glass reveal there is a 3" section in ORANGE in attached pic.

Another query.. on the rear quarter panel, I see your reference is of a convertible which has the small side rear window. On the fastback it does not have this enclosed section by the wheel house/ side ornaments. So does this section on the FB get sound deadener on that part of the quarter panel?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:13:39 PM by brennancarey »
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
No I am referring to below the rear glass windshield below the glass reveal there is a 3" section in ORANGE in attached pic.

Don't have any clear pictures of that area on that year and model. Would not expect to find it there as there is no purpose for the black out. No panel gaps in that area nor the possibility of a rear window defroster

Another query.. on the rear quarter panel, I see your reference is of a convertible which has the small side rear window. On the fastback it does not have this enclosed section by the wheel house/ side ornaments. So does this section on the FB get sound deadener on that part of the quarter panel?

Does not appear so. Don;t think they had started applying the sound deadener to the quarter panel before it was attached in 67

Jeff Speegle