Author Topic: 65/66 - Standard Interior Automatic Trans, Disc Brake Pad & Gas Pedal?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Morsel

Hi all, I searched the forums and can't seem to find the answer here. I know that the standard interior cars were not supposed to have the chrome trim rings around the pads. My question is regarding the pedals that don't have the trim rings. Are the pedal pad for the Auto Disk Brake pad and gas pedal a different part, or is it the same but just removing the trim rings, from some very poor pictures I've seen it looks like an entirely different pad for each, but could be wrong.

Does any one have any pictures of what they look like or part numbers? I don't have a Ford parts manual.

And if they are different, does anyone have a source for these?

Thanks in advance as always...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
As always   ::)  when was your car built????
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

As always   ::)  when was your car built????

Sorry, yes, for future references...

February 10th 1966, San Jose, factory GT K-Code, automatic transmission (front disc brakes)

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Believe they are  (sure others will check my work)

Brake - C5ZZ-2454-C

Gas - C5ZZ-9735-D

Sources - ebay, swap meets, wanted ads
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

Believe they are  (sure others will check my work)

Brake - C5ZZ-2454-C

Gas - C5ZZ-9735-D

Sources - ebay, swap meets, wanted ads

Thanks Jeff...

Looking at those part numbers, it looks to be the same part as the ones with the chrome trim rings. Is the only difference that you just remove the trim rings and your good to go? I always thought on these the chrome trim rings sort of helps the rubber pad stay on the brake pad, so I thought it would be an entirely different part... more like the early 64 1/2-65 drum brake pad without the indent for the chrome trim ring.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Thanks Jeff...

Looking at those part numbers, it looks to be the same part as the ones with the chrome trim rings. Is the only difference that you just remove the trim rings and your good to go? I always thought on these the chrome trim rings sort of helps the rubber pad stay on the brake pad, so I thought it would be an entirely different part... more like the early 64 1/2-65 drum brake pad without the indent for the chrome trim ring.

Thanks,

Jason

You could always offer the trim, if not needed, to others on the forum...I for one, would have interest ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Jason,
If you're asking if Ford had a brake pad without any provisions for a trim "ring", and one with, the answer is yes. Originally, there were no trim "rings" used. Then came deluxe interiors, GT equipment, power brakes and the pad was different for those options. This applied to both automatic transmission and manual transmissions. What happened in 1966 (or 65 for that matter) to the pad design I don't know. Was the same one used for "with" and "without" trim on the assembly line? What has been seen is the service parts applied to many vehicles and options. It is quite possible that the service pad for the trim ring was the same as for without. When installed, the regular customer would not know or care, and there was one less item to be kept in inventory.
I have a brake trim ring on my 66 GT K Fastback. The pad says "disc". I have a brake trim ring on my 66 Hardtop that I added. The pad is blank.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

Jason,
If you're asking if Ford had a brake pad without any provisions for a trim "ring", and one with, the answer is yes. Originally, there were no trim "rings" used. Then came deluxe interiors, GT equipment, power brakes and the pad was different for those options. This applied to both automatic transmission and manual transmissions. What happened in 1966 (or 65 for that matter) to the pad design I don't know. Was the same one used for "with" and "without" trim on the assembly line? What has been seen is the service parts applied to many vehicles and options. It is quite possible that the service pad for the trim ring was the same as for without. When installed, the regular customer would not know or care, and there was one less item to be kept in inventory.
I have a brake trim ring on my 66 GT K Fastback. The pad says "disc". I have a brake trim ring on my 66 Hardtop that I added. The pad is blank.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I guess I'm asking the question because I was told I would get points deducted for having the trim rings on my peddles in a standard interior car, so I really just wanted the correct parts (like everything else ;)

So I guess there are a few possibilities then for a 66 GT K-Code automatic with standard interior like my car, and the question is which one would it have been...

1) Was an "auto" disc brake pad with the "Disc" chrome ring in the center used for a car like mine and did they just leave the chrome outer ring on it for ease at the plant and then use a chrome trim ring on the gas pedal as well so it matched?

2) Was it the same parts as above, but they just didn't add the outer chrome trim ring on both pedals?

3) Or were they entirely different parts that didn't have the indent for the outer chrome trim ring like the older parts (which is sounding unlikely now since no one seems to know, I sure didn't find anything searching around) especially with the "Disc" center chrome... which like you said, would they have made an extra peddle pad for that, doubtful by this point in the Mustangs assembly life I would think.

Jason

Offline Scott302

The parts are different as are the part numbers.  The numbers listed above are for the pads and pedal used with the trim rings.  I am not around my early books but I'll try to find the numbers Monday.  Some of the brake pedal pads are reproduced in the standard style but the gas pedal is not.  The clutch pedal, brake pedal w/manual trans & disc brakes and the pads for drums brake with either trans are currently available.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline Morsel

I reached out to a friend from the HiPo forum who has great knowledge about original and NOS parts. This is what he had to say specifically about 1966 standard interior cars pedals and some of the history of the changes (which is basically what Jim was eluding to)

"The issue with the indentation for the trim rings on the pedals only applies to 1965 cars produced before around March of 1965. This was when Ford first introduced the luxury décor group (pony interior) which used those rings. All pedals built after that time have the indentation for the trim ring so that Ford only had to stock one type of pedal pad. All of the trim rings, including for the gas pedal were sold as separate items. Somewhere around 1967 Ford decided to just add the trim rings to all replacement gas pedals making the separately available trim ring a useless item. I have however seen them for sale very recently as a separate piece. Being as you have a standard interior 66 car, all that is necessary is to remove the trim ring from the gas pedal to be correct. Also you will need to remove the trim ring from the brake pedal pad. The really tough one is for people with earlier production 1965 cars that are not supposed to have the indentation as those are pretty much all gone as NOS with only some decent used ones around if you are lucky. The only NOS brake pedal pads without the indentation that I have seen and actually stock are for manual transmission drum brakes. Fortunately for you the fix is easy."

So it sounds like I've received my answer, but wanted to share this info for future reference.

Thanks everyone,

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thanks Jim. I guess I'm asking the question because I was told I would get points deducted for having the trim rings on my peddles in a standard interior car, so I really just wanted the correct parts (like everything else ;)

Believe the focus should be on what is correct rather than points and rules as they should follow the original details, unless we want to have a discussion over in the MCA or one of those sections) .  ;)  So your real focus is spot on

The parts are different as are the part numbers.  The numbers listed above are for the pads and pedal used with the trim rings.  I am not around my early books but I'll try to find the numbers Monday.  ............
When I looked in the 67 MPC Ford was not servicing (nothing listed) for the automatic with disc pad in any version which I found odd

I guess another related question would be - If there are two different numbers originally can they be visually differentiated once installed?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:06:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline mjd 65

My July 65 Metuchen hardtop with standard interior has indents on the pedals. The gas pedal has two part numbers: C5ZA-9767-B C5ZA-9735-A AY 13B.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline Scott302

The following information is from my June 1968 MPC fiche.
All the brake pedal pads have a change over date of 3/8/65 which coincides with the Deluxe interior release date.

M/T disc early C5ZZ-2454-A
M/T disc late C5ZZ-2454-D

A/T disc early C5ZZ-2454-B
A/T disc late C5ZZ-2454-C

A/T drum PB early C5ZZ-2457-A
A/T drum PB late C5ZZ-2457-E

A/T drum MB early C5ZZ-2457-B
A/T drum MB late C5ZZ-2457-F

M/T drum MB early C5ZZ-2457-C
M/T drum MB late C5ZZ-2457-G

In this MPC the clutch pad only shows one part number C5ZZ-7A624-B.  Something is missing.  Maybe Richard Porter or someone with a 1965 only MPC could check an see if the "A" suffix shows up there.

Also the gas pedal shows C5ZZ-9735-D as standard and C5ZZ-9735-E as deluxe interior.

Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline jwc66k

That's good information especially the date, but original pedals are marked with an "engineering" part number. The service number is on the bag or tag. The only ID would be grove/no grove. Also, no M/T power brakes listed?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
JANUARY 65 MPC shows C5ZZ-7A624-A for clutch pedal pad.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589