Author Topic: coil bracket  (Read 867 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

coil bracket
« on: July 04, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
Same spot on engine, different question. I have a Scott Drake coil bracket with C4DZ number on it and it won't fit behind the dipstick tube. 351 w. It is if the flat part that the bolt goes through to the head is not long enough. Holes in dip stick and coil bracket don't line up. What am I missing? Coil mounts next to dip stick tube on 351 w, what went wrong?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: coil bracket
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »
Same spot on engine, different question. I have a Scott Drake coil bracket with C4DZ number on it and it won't fit behind the dipstick tube. 351 w. It is if the flat part that the bolt goes through to the head is not long enough. Holes in dip stick and coil bracket don't line up. What am I missing? Coil mounts next to dip stick tube on 351 w, what went wrong?
Maybe post a picture. It is not un typical for there to be issues with repros. Maybe there is a issue with the one you got compared to a original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 09:08:38 PM »
I found out today from the folks at Scott Drake that the coil bracket is made for manifold mount, not on the front of the head as on a Windsor. But, if you cut the slotted hole on the adjustable/slide straight out it will work. And with the cut out slot (looks like a u shape, not a slotted hole) under the dipstick tube, you can't see were it was cut. So it worked.
You really don't know what the whole story is behind repro parts. Trail and error is exspensive

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:04:14 PM »
This is another one of those "one size fits all" parts, that many of the vendors have produced.

At WCCC we collected no less than 4 different coil brackets from the 1967-73 Mercury Cougar. At the time, my guy wasn't taking note that they were mounted differently, nor that there were subtle differences. I know now, to do the research myself. Just another one of those things added to my "To-Do" list.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A