Author Topic: Brushed Aluminum Grit Choice  (Read 1029 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Brushed Aluminum Grit Choice
« on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:31 AM »
Just looking for a suggestion or two. I know that it would not take long to experiment but thought if someone has already gone through this I would ask what worked for them

For items such as the brushed trim rings or brushed aluminum interior trim on 67's what grit wet/dry paper did you find that produced the closest look to original?

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Brushed Aluminum Grit Choice
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 05:54:20 AM »
I had emailed back & forth with Joe of JCO Consultants earlier this year and he mentioned I could link an article to the forum. It wouldn't be a bad article for the Library (if by chance you wish or need him to sign a waiver)
Here is a link for now to a method he used on a 67 Console restoration. A good read-through, if nothing else. Like all things, the link may only be good for as long as the website permits or is maintained.
http://jcoconsulting.com/Brushstrokes

The short answer: Medium Grit Scotch Brite
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:20:01 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Brushed Aluminum Grit Choice
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
A very good article read and provides the information requested.  Different parts of the methods described provide ideas for doing other jobs that I plan on using the information to help do.  On a similar line of thought ,I used to buy 67 brushed aluminum panels from Joe years ago when there was no other alternative . The problem is the results were (assuming the same process from the same man) only good enough when there is no other alternative IMO. The panels looked 75% on a scale of 100.   The advent of the mfg of the deluxe panel trim and dash trim was a God sent to the hobby. What with all the work involved and the level of results that can be accomplished  I thought I would mention this in case it may make a difference depending on expectations . It would be extremely difficult if at all to accomplish a show level acceptable finish on ether 67 deluxe brushed trim panels or consoles using those methods based on the finished products using this technique that I have seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby