Author Topic: 1966 K-Code automatic transmission cars - How many were made?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Morsel

Doing some research here and trying to find out how many people on these forums have a 1966 K-Code mustang with an automatic transmission. What I know is there were very few produced (not crazy few, but compared to 4-Speed K-Code cars), but how few are we talking about? I also read that most of the K-Code automatics were coupes and convertibles and not that many fastbacks were made. I know this info is impossible to know for sure, but curious more than anything else.

If you have a K-Code automatic car, please response to this thread with whatever info you know about the car, legitimate automatic, coupe, convertible, fastback, and what plant it came out of. The more info the better, but also just if you have one is most important. Also, do not respond to this if you responded to my inquiry on one of the other forums.

Also, if anyone else has already done some research on this subject I'd be curious to see what you came up with... just trying to find out exactly how rare these cars are, if at all...

I've searched around and just really haven't come up with too much information about them... except that they were made, haha.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 K-Code automatic transmission cars - How many were made?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
No way of knowing since the records were destroyed so no way of determining IMHO. There were some figures floated out in a book in the early 80s (percentages) but as far as I know no one knows what those figures were based on and given the style of research demonstrated in the book I'm wary of the figures. JMHO

Can believe what you read in articles typically though will agree they were very unpopular and of course many were converted once sold to the second owners.

For your survey not sure if your counting the 66 Shelby's in the mix. All of those figures are available (car by car) in the latest registry. The wife owns one non-Hertz 66 GT350 with automatic.  Shipped a 66 San Jose K code auto fastback to Australia over ten years ago  Don't know if I kept the VIN for that car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ultimatecougar

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:38:27 PM »
I have factory K-GT automatic coupe. Its scheduled build date was Feb. 23 in Metuchen. It is mostly original, one repaint in the original color with all original drivetrain. It's a start anyway. Let me know if you would like any further information. Good luck with the poll, I am interested in the results as well.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:55:09 PM »
Another source of data, though limited, would be the 64-66 Mustang Production Guide. Not complete but at least a collection of car data submitted for that book by owners and hobbyist around the US

Assume you have already approached the K code registry also.

Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 10:05:46 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeff, I'll look into that source.

I wouldn't really think the Shelbys would be part of this since they were, well, Shelby's, haha. And yes, I'm polling all the other forums I belong to including the HiPo site.

Thanks as always and keep the info coming if anyone else has additional info relating to this inquiry.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeff, I'll look into that source.

I wouldn't really think the Shelbys would be part of this since they were, well, Shelby's, haha. And yes, I'm polling all the other forums I belong to including the HiPo site.

If the official numbers were available from Ford Shelby's would typically be included in those numbers looking at later years.  Still cars produced but depends on how you word the results  ;)

Of course, by the way your going at this, the results will more likely reflect how many remain than how many were built or a real reflection of percentage of cars per body style. Same problem that they had for the Production guide and other surveys

Likely more K codes today (percentage wise) exist today percentage than originally built. Sort of like pony interiors, GTs and so on

Just a thought. Your survey - your choice  8)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:59:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:22 AM »
Checked my pictures and I found 10 examples.

Did give a look at the Production  Guide and its amazing to me that such a large percentage of K codes reported left out transmission and rearend gear info.  Possibly so that owners could change those cars to fours speeds at one point and not have records published that would conflict with their choice and new door tags.  Found another 20 automatic examples there.  Not that those results are anything scientific sine the reported 4 speeds do not out number the number of automatics greatly
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »
Checked my pictures and I found 10 examples.

Did give a look at the Production  Guide and its amazing to me that such a large percentage of K codes reported left out transmission and rearend gear info.  Possibly so that owners could change those cars to fours speeds at one point and not have records published that would conflict with their choice and new door tags.  Found another 20 automatic examples there.  Not that those results are anything scientific sine the reported 4 speeds do not out number the number of automatics greatly

Wow, that's great info Jeff, and very strange at the same time, haha.

Again, this is for nothing more then to try to get an understanding and basic idea of roughly (and I mean very roughly) how many of these things exist. I'm not looking for anything to tag to my car, it's just been a curiosity I've had since I got the car 20 years ago. I at that point, had never even seen a 1966 Mustang K-Code with an automatic. Now that I'm a member to all these forums and have seen and heard about a few others, I just decided I might actually finally answer this question I've had and see what people thought, or if anyone had already done the research and could answer it. I plan on keeping my car until I die, so it has nothing to do with a "my car is x out of xxx made", which I'm getting on some of the other forums, haha.

Anyway, just trying to answer a question I've had for a long time...

Thanks for your input,

Jason

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »
One indication of how many MIGHT have been made is to examine the 67 database for K-codes: of the 489 sold, 173 were C4's.  This is probably the upper limit, about 35%. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 65,66,67UNRESTORED

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »
I have an unrestored 1966 original paint, non GT Fastback with it's original automatic in place.
65 Fastback unrestored survivor Ivy Green, Black Interior, C code, 4speed, A/C
65 K Fastback unrestored survivor Ivy Green, Palomino Interior
65 Coupe unrestored Caspian Blue, White Vinyl Top, Blue Interior, K code
66 Convertible unrestored survivor Raven Black, Red Deluxe Interior, C code, A/C

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 08:31:54 PM »
I kind of accepted that there were only 6 Conv, K, Auto's made years ago.  I knew of one in AZ (at least it was there 22 years ago).

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »
This question has been brought up before. In research for an article for my Mustang Club's newsletter, I found actual Ford statistics for the production number of 289HP vehicles, all three models, for 1964 thru 1966. I can't find my source materials but here's what I remember. There were about 7200 289HP vehicles produced in 1964-65, and about 5600 produced in 1966. That may or may not includes Shelby (it's vague). Assuming the current "conventional wisdom" is correct, for 1966, about 25 to 35 percent of all body styles were equipped with a C4 automatic transmission. That's between 1400 and 1960 vehicles. That's about as close as anyone can "estimate".
Another "number" to consider, there were about 1.29 million 1964-66 Mustangs produced by Ford. Figure half are gone - wrecked, rusted or missing - "barn finds" in waiting. That's still around 600,000 out there, probably less. Keep them running.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for responding to this, and great helpful information jwc66k. I know this is impossible info to actually find out for sure, but anything helps. As I mentioned, it's more for curiosity sakes than anything else. I keep getting asked the question when I show my car and have no way of even answering it some logical way, so part of it is that, and part of it is just wanting to know how rare are these things??? Again, this is not for any personal gain or trying to put a tag on my car of it being super rare or something, never going to sell my car ;)

Keep it coming if you have more info on this subject, I'm just documenting away over here...

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 04:29:42 PM »
I kind of accepted that there were only 6 Conv, K, Auto's made years ago.  I knew of one in AZ (at least it was there 22 years ago).

Mark

Never heard that number. I think I have pictures taken of three
Jeff Speegle

Offline mustangmann

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
I used to own a 1966 "K" Code Automatic Convert.  Non GT.  I was the third owner, number matching and original door tag.  A buddy of mine had one about 3 years ago, sold it to Puerto Rico!  Was a factory "K" GT automatic convertible.

Ken