Author Topic: Diff. case  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Diff. case
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:00:38 PM »
Colors on a 65 8 cyl. diff. case San Jose Mid May?  Primer red on the case ?  How about the C2OW-E hooded pinion body bolt heads and yoke ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Diff. case
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »
Must be doing an 8"

Epoxy (slightly shinny not flat) red oxide color before machining (inside and out of the case)

Pinion retainer (with hood style) is the same finish then machined so that the visible face should be bare steel around where the mounting bolts will be.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:16:33 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Yes 8" my car.  On the Freeway 70 mph or so and heard/felt a thump-bump.  Went into neutral right away and pulled over.  Lost some teeth on the pinion and then lost a bearing cap.  Ordered a bunch of parts today but still going to be a couple weeks before I' am driving that car.  Going to put a traction-Loc in but am staying with the 3:00 gears.  Will have to just muddle along with the CJ until repairs are complete.  Pinion bolts are black ?  Brian
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:21:43 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:07 PM »
Och   :o   Never had one do that before. Did tear the pinion out of a 55 Chevy rearend doing neutral drops in my college (yes went to school for a few months  8) years. Case (like a Ford V8 style) broke about mid way between the rearend housing and the pinion retainer. Another proud moment

............. Pinion bolts are black ?  Brian

Look to be heat treated so yes the darker finish bare steel. Dip in gun bluing then oiled should work well IMHO
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:28:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:38:34 PM »
Got all the parts together; case, 8" trac-loc, 3.00 gear set and the bearing install kit.  Had the local San Diego Gear and Axle shop assemble and I installed.  The OE gears and diff. case, dated 5EC, are now unusable because of broken teeth and a broken bearing cap.  The new/used case is dated 5C22 and I would like to get a Marti tag made up to reflect the 3.00 gears and traction lock installed.  Pictured are the OE tag and what I think a new tag should look like.  Take a look and let me know what changes, if any, I should make ?  Thanks, Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
Got all the parts together; case, 8" trac-loc, 3.00 gear set and the bearing install kit.  Had the local San Diego Gear and Axle shop assemble and I installed.  The OE gears and diff. case, dated 5EC, are now unusable because of broken teeth and a broken bearing cap.  The new/used case is dated 5C22 and I would like to get a Marti tag made up to reflect the 3.00 gears and traction lock installed.  Pictured are the OE tag and what I think a new tag should look like.  Take a look and let me know what changes, if any, I should make ?  Thanks, Brian

If you change the type of rearend it is then I don't think it would still be a 901. In other words don't think a 901 is a 3.00 traction lock in a 65
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:46:02 AM »
I would install the original tag and not worry about matching it to what can't be seen.  If you change the tag, then are you going to change your door warranty plate also?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  According to the Marti Tag Book the ' 901 ' indicates the ' axle plant manufacturing code ' and goes no further explaining it other than to say all mustangs had a 900 series code.  The WDJ-C, upper left, does indentify the axle model.  Perhaps someone with a 65 equa-lock might volunteer what is stamped on their tag ?  As to the door tag it had not occurred to me to alter that.  My thought is to make it easier for some future owner to ID what's inside that case.  IE 3.00 gears w/traction-lock.  I have read many times of new owners trying to ID the rear end gears by spinning tires and counting revolutions.  Just trying to make life a bit easier on the next guy.  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »
I would install the original tag and not worry about matching it to what can't be seen.  If you change the tag, then are you going to change your door warranty plate also?

+1

Just take the receipts for the new hardware, write a note when installed along with keeping original tag installed and stuff in the folder with the other paperwork for the car. 
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 02:10:13 PM »

+1

Just take the receipts for the new hardware, write a note when installed along with keeping original tag installed and stuff in the folder with the other paperwork for the car. 

+2 You should be satisfied with the gear change & TL, keeping records of the change is a good idea also.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  According to the Marti Tag Book the ' 901 ' indicates the ' axle plant manufacturing code ' and goes no further explaining it other than to say all mustangs had a 900 series code.  ................

I don't have those all figured out (not allot of questions for the information) but there are a bunch of different numbers used. For example I have two examples of 3.00 8"  from 66 with "931" as that code so its not an easy task and may have changed during production year making it even more confusing. Possibly why Kevin didn't include a break down especially considering all the years and combinations
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »
Since you are making a gear change, why not simply leave off the tag that's correct for the new gear?  Keep the old tag with the old gear set for future owners.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rrenz

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »
Had a similar situation happen to me a few months back on the way back from a show where I had just won a best of show award (thinking this is embarrassing) . Its probably the most sickening sound I've ever heard come from a car. I was able to salvage the majority of parts after some minor machining and re assemble.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary