Author Topic: Firewall Manual Trans Spring Anchor Hole Filler For Automatic Equipped Cars  (Read 1182 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Sorry for the long title but not easy to describe in words. This topical popped up on another forum but thought I would start present it here since it applies to Mustangs as well as Shelby's. Focus currently on 66 San Jose production though happy to see other similar threads started to reflect practices at the other two plants.

The issue.  In the second half or so of 66 production a feature was added to the drivers side firewall under the master cylinder to accommodate a newly introduced upper clutch arm return spring as shown in the picture below.

First "half" 66 production (automatic and manual transmission examples)

Second "half" 66 production (manual transmission example)

The change over period appears to be in Feb 1966 at San Jose based only on projected build dates. Currently the highest VIN I have with the earlier style  is 6R17199x and the lowest VIN I have with the later style is 6R163xxx

So the second part of the discussion is what did San Jose use to seal the hole on non-manual transmissions.  Looking at cars from that period that were unrestored I found the use of an oval plug as shown in the examples below

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Firewall Manual Trans Spring Anchor Hole Filler For Automatic Equipped Cars
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »
What started the discussion was a different style of plug Bob Gaines found on a (likely) Feb 1966 built San Jose car that was different from anything I've seen.  This motivated me to find another unrestored example of a 66 San Jose car built in Feb (projected) to see what it had.

Here is what I found on that example.

I know this car well since about 1974 or so and believe this to be a untouched details to this car. It suggests to me that for the first week (could be days or a couple weeks) or so of production San Jose struggled to figure out a way to seal the opening on automatic equipped cars or this is a detail that Ford over looked and San Jose made do until they received the approved part from Ford

What I found here was a short section of fabric tape just like what was found around the car in other locations, so it was on site, handy and served the purpose but not a great solution.

Believe/hope Bob will repost his pictures of what he found on his example.

Another detail to keep an eye open for    :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:50:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 12:20:36 AM »
I was fortunate get one of the anchors and its rubber insulator, take some pictures and measurements before it was installed.
I got a quote from a prototype shop of $135 for one piece and setup, and $250 for a quantity of 50 for both pieces. Just passing along costs for reference.
The part number is in the 75 MPC, Sec75 page 12.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 02:48:57 AM »
Been busy. Here is the pictures.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 65Ford

Attached is a picture of the plug in a '66 Coupe, 6R07C184426 April 12 scheduled build date.  Sorry to bring up an old topic but I find these things fascinating.

Jeff, the picture of just the fabric tape over the hole, is that a faint outline on the firewall of what could have been an oval plug installed at one time?  Maybe my imagination is getting the better of me.
63A  R  28  02K  51  1  5
5R09A142

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Attached is a picture of the plug in a '66 Coupe, 6R07C184426 April 12 scheduled build date.  Sorry to bring up an old topic but I find these things fascinating.

Jeff, the picture of just the fabric tape over the hole, is that a faint outline on the firewall of what could have been an oval plug installed at one time?  Maybe my imagination is getting the better of me.

Guess one could see something in the little chips and such a pattern but its no apparent in person. History of the car is I first took a ride in it in 1973, after a few years it was stored in an underground garage until it was moved to be stored elsewhere in the mid 80's Knowing the owner from the 70's I'm certain he didn't care about that little hole (neither did the first owner) under the steering column and surely didn't place the tape in that location worming it under the firewall pad
Jeff Speegle