Author Topic: 1968 C-code vinyl top GT for full restoration  (Read 167 times)

Offline don.piotrek

1968 C-code vinyl top GT for full restoration
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for letting me join.
Few months ago I bought a neat 1968 C-code GT. Over the years I has been slightly modified over what does the door data plate say.
Honestly it looks now better black on black interior, but I would like to restore it as the Marti report says:
65B Mustang Decor 2-Door Hardtop
Y Sunlit Gold Paint, Ford #3073-A
6Y Nugget Gold Vinyl Luxury Bucket Seats
Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- Black Paint Stripes
- Black Vinyl Roof
- 7.35X14-4 Ply Rated White Sidewall Tires
- AM Radio
- Interior Decor Group
- Tinted Glass
- Deluxe Seat Belts
- Heavy Duty Battery

As I had a brief google search over the above mentioned options, I couldnt find any details about the 6Y interior trim. Neither I found it in any online shop. All the nugget gold seats come in standard trim, not luxury... and what does the interior decor group consist od? I do have a roof central console, but nothing on the floor. Is there anything more that comes in the dashboard?
I also have a turn signal hood but it is not indicated in the report. Does it mean it was added at some point later?

Below come some pics of the car as it is right now.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1968 C-code vinyl top GT for full restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for letting me join.
Few months ago I bought a neat 1968 C-code GT. Over the years I has been slightly modified over what does the door data plate say.
Honestly it looks now better black on black interior, but I would like to restore it as the Marti report says:
65B Mustang Decor 2-Door Hardtop
Y Sunlit Gold Paint, Ford #3073-A
6Y Nugget Gold Vinyl Luxury Bucket Seats
Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- Black Paint Stripes
- Black Vinyl Roof
- 7.35X14-4 Ply Rated White Sidewall Tires
- AM Radio
- Interior Decor Group
- Tinted Glass
- Deluxe Seat Belts
- Heavy Duty Battery

As I had a brief google search over the above mentioned options, I couldnt find any details about the 6Y interior trim. Neither I found it in any online shop. All the nugget gold seats come in standard trim, not luxury... and what does the interior decor group consist od? I do have a roof central console, but nothing on the floor. Is there anything more that comes in the dashboard?
I also have a turn signal hood but it is not indicated in the report. Does it mean it was added at some point later?

Below come some pics of the car as it is right now.

FIRST, Welcome...I hope we can all help you with your questions as you venture into your project.

It might help to know more from the Marti Report to answer about the hood but the other items, I'll take a swing at. A date code from your hood could also help determine if it is likely original to your car but we would need your actual build date to help on that detail. Moving onto the rest of your questions...
1.) Nugget Gold Luxury seats will be difficult to find the right material but I think you should be able to find it. Hopefully, the few others who have can help you with "where" to look for it.
2.) Your steering wheel is incorrect for any 68, an original would have simulated wood center pad insert. I don't think it is 100% clear right now but some had "chromed" circles & trim in the steering wheel insert, while others were a satin silver color. We have an MCA certified Gold Card judge who regularly chimes in, maybe he can shed a little more light on the steering wheel comments.
3.) You have the correct wood dash trim mostly intact but it will need replaced/restored. There should also be a center filler panel over the radio (with wood inserts). The door panels have the correct wood inserts and lower speaker grille covers for the deluxe interior. The upper console is also part of this option and would also have a simulated wood insert. The LOWER console is optional, so it would be called out on a Marti report if it were original to your car.  Also, the rear seat quarter trim is upholstered on a deluxe interior car. It looks like yours is also. I think those are the major components of this option. I am better versed on the 67's but have a good general idea on the 68's (though we do not see many coupes with the luxury interior)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:43:38 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline tobkob

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
The steering wheel wrap looks a lot like a sport grip 500.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970

Offline don.piotrek

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »
Hi Richard, many thanks for all the points! They are already very helpful.
Regarding the dates, the car was built in Dearborn on Dec 1st, 1967 (5 days ahead of schedule - 06M).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »
Yes welcome to the site - hope you find your restoration/concours related needs meet here. Lots of stuff already posted so practice a bit with the search feature or just start scanning through the 67-68 section.  Sure you looked over the site well before joining so you already have an idea of how things work here and the level of discussion or members will go to to discover and discuss the finer details.

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
The steering wheel wrap looks a lot like a sport grip 500.

Think you will find that is an over the counter one rather than a 68-69 version sold and/or installed through Ford and Mercury
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
Think you will find that is an over the counter one rather than a 68-69 version sold and/or installed through Ford and Mercury
I know, thats why I said looks a lot like one ... not exactly. Probably should have been clearer with my post. :-[
TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970