Author Topic: Why did Ford use a narrow radiator in 1967  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Cool Times

Why did Ford use a narrow radiator in 1967
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »
Good afternoon,
I'm continuing my search for the reasoning behind Ford's  use of a narrow radiator (17") wide core and roughly 16.5" high on a 289.  Basically, the same size as the 1965-66 radiators, but has a wider mounting flange to accommodate the wider space in the '67..  I actually scrapped the radiator from my A code before understanding the importance of date codes, etc.  it was totally rotten and seemed too small to be original.  In my pursuit for 1967 San Jose replacement (C7ZE 8005 R2), I can accross a very similar radiator that was stamped C7ZE 8005 R1 (date code 7BC) that had the same wider mounting flanges (17" core) as my apparent original.  The seller was  positive that it was original to his A code 1967 mustang that he was restoring/modifying and no longer needed.  It was cheap, so I purchased it on a small gamble.  The inlet and outlet are both on the passenger side (1.5" and 1.75"), so it should be a V8.  Part number and date code are stamped on the wide flange and it has the FOMOCO logo on top (rectangle).
On the Mustangtek site they have a very similar C7ZE 8005 M1 stating an unconfirmed application of 289 1967 mustang or cougar.  I'll continue to look for a 20 1/4" San Jose radiator and keep this one until I confirm the application.  See photos.
 Thank you for any thoughts.

Offline Cool Times

Re: Why did Ford use a narrow radiator in 1967
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »
Here's an image of my original rotten radiator with the same wide flanges (on my 1967 A code).  Take  while removing the engine back in 2015.   As mentioned above, I scrapped before realizing the value of the original radiator.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:40:37 PM »
Don't know that worrying about the reasons is a productive time use but if your one of those individuals that has to know the story behind the story behind the story - good luck  :)

I figured they (based on engineers and past experience) knew it would work in most cases and a bigger more expensive option could be sold in those areas where heat was a bigger issue.  More money for the stock holders

Since you have a San Jose car I suggest you focus on the markings that would be found on a radiator that would typically be installed at San Jose rather than the long version of the engineering number. You referenced a number of examples that ere stamped with C7.... not something found on a Modine radiator

Sounds like you bought a Dearborn/NJ style radiator you'' need to find a new home for  Good it was cheap.

So not sure what radiator you think was original to  your car. Don't have any examples with C7ZE R's

Guess I would start with how your car was optioned and built.

Guess you have a Marti report and didn't find a build sheet.

Engine, Trans, Thermactor, AC would all play into (including option packages) what radiator you would have originally had. Guessing that you have no way of proving the picture you took years ago was indeed the original out of the car.

Here is how the top tank and the soldered on tag would have looked

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »
Thank you Jeff.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »
To add,  the good news is since the soldered on tags are reproduced by AMK  http://amkproducts.com/radiator_caps.asp  .  As long as you get a used at SJ plant Modine W marked radiator (rounded side straps and no metal stamping on the side straps) you can make it look as it should with the addition of the appropriate soldered on tags. Of course the automatic and manual radiators have different engineering numbers.  That is if you are wanting to go back with a assemblyline type radiator.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
NPD has some of the tags too. I just bought one for our 68. AMK has a $30 minim :'(

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »
Thank you.  I appreciate the ideas and guidance.