Author Topic: Painted my 68 S code Dearborn Fastback !  (Read 601 times)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
Re: Painted my 68 S code Dearborn Fastback !
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
Wow!  So I know both rotation numbers?   Sweet deal!  Ok... so that battery area marking..... that's supposedly,  or commonly,  a "D"?  I tried to replicate what I saw and don't mind redoing it (solvent will take that off)  so i can make it right.   It almost looks like a "B" as well......

This is awesome stuff man!   Love all the input.  I'm schooled on Mopars but not the Mustangs, but like my A12 Super Bee which has a site dedicated specifically for them and very detailed,  this site has been a great asset so far!

Jeff.... on the sound deadener thing.   I guess I just don't like that look of bodycolor in the wheel wells, even though correct.  My car had it sprayed on the entire undercarriage and gastank too.  My plan is once the fenders are on, spray the stuff in the rear wheel wells,  inner fender areas,  firewall around the heater area and brake booster area as well as the inner frame rails where they meet the firewall and all along the trans tunnel. I'm debating on doing the gastank.  Again...a preference thing but we'll see.  I'd like it to be correct as I can but a little artistic leeway to make things a little neater than original.   But like my Super Bee.... things done differently are NEVER advertised as being correct.  ;D

Keep the info coming.  I've been pretty good at using the search function too, but sometimes it's best to just come out and ask.

Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:02:13 AM by A12pilot »
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
Jeff,

Here's my body buck tag.   Looks like my car was part of the "recycling" campaign back then since it's a Mercury tag ;D

No 610 on it.  I have my Buildsheet but only half of it,  so the part with that number in it is the part missing I'm assuming. I need to send all this to Marti and have a new one made.

Cheers
Dave
That is cool. I have also seen those large tags reused for Mustang door tags.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »

Jeff.... on the sound deadener thing.   I guess I just don't like that look of bodycolor in the wheel wells, even though correct.  My car had it sprayed on the entire undercarriage and gastank too.  My plan is once the fenders are on, spray the stuff in the rear wheel wells,  inner fender areas,  firewall around the heater area and brake booster area as well as the inner frame rails where they meet the firewall and all along the trans tunnel. I'm debating on doing the gastank. ............................

Likely it was undercoated by the dealer or by the first owner. Today its frowned upon since many assume that if your covering surfaces your possibly hiding poor repairs, problems or workmanship. Also many figure if you did a nice full restoration then you would be proud to show off the condition not hide it but your choice.  I have a driver that I didn't  touch on the undercarriage when I did it. Just focused on what others would see at a local show and didn't want to spend the time to strip all of the undercoating off.

Wow!  So I know both rotation numbers?   Sweet deal!  Ok... so that battery area marking..... that's supposedly,  or commonly,  a "D"?  I tried to replicate what I saw and don't mind redoing it (solvent will take that off)  so i can make it right.   It almost looks like a "B" as well......

Does this happen to be a later 68 car?  Just asking

The "D" is a commonly found marking in that location and the radiator support from the San Jose plant. Not so much in my experience at Dearborn, why I asked, but it has been seen with and without a line through it during 67-70 production. Often, like what you showed, we get parts and sections of markings  then try and figure out what the complete marking may have been.

Have not figured out what the "D" indicated at any of the plants. In that same location we often find an "8" in that location at Dearborn starting in 67 and also a version with a line through it.  Thought you might have found the bottom of that number  but would not expect to find an "8" on your car but instead a letter identifying the engine size. Its all about where and when the car was built

All good, just asking as we see things and you share them, to either support, confirm or take us possibly in a new direction.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
Sorry for the delay, Jeff.  It's a November car,  sold first week of January.  I have the large,  recessed quarter panel markers too.  Lots of dates stamped on parts like the pedal hangers,  wiper motor,  motor mount markings, etc.  I'll post up what I found so it can be added.

I'm starting to cut and buff then will start into more reassembly.  On the rear valance....i didn't paint it on the car since my rotisserie mounts are in the way.  But when I do paint it,  it will be painted as if it were hanging like its supposed to.... and overspray on the backside.   Screws painted too, afterwards 8)

Dave
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:43:48 PM by A12pilot »
Dave
 (8F02S)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »
Found a few markings on my toploader after some cleaning.  Found a few on the rear 3rd member too I'll post up later.  Any idea on these?  Original color of the markings?  Consistent with others?

Cheers
Dave
Dave
 (8F02S)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 02:25:27 AM »
Found a few markings on my toploader after some cleaning.  Found a few on the rear 3rd member too I'll post up later.  Any idea on these?  Original color of the markings?  Consistent with others?

Pretty consistent with other top loaders from the period IMHO. Sometimes you find color other times just the stain or lack of surface rust within the writing. Should find even more on the drivers side. Stamp on the lower rear, mark between the mounting ears on the flange. Stamp number above the shift studs.

Also check around the speedo attachment point on the tail shaft  ;)

All related to one of the assemblers, inspections, identifiers or checks the transmission went through as it was built at the transmission plant.

What looks like a - 2 on the passenger side was possibly done in yellow (Sort of school bus yellow) or a pale blue.  Do have one example with the line or - was white in color

Have seen the X a slightly lighter than medium blue (similar to what I have shown as Dark Blue in the article in the Library) or a bit lighter.

While we're at it do not copy or borrow fonts and ideas from "restored" examples you will see on the web or magazines. The stamp for the drivers side has been incorrectly reproduced for years on many different types of top loaders using the stencil font. It original wasn't.   If you go that far lets talk and see if I can help

Have almost 600 paint mark examples just from manual transmissions in my data base so looked through the same and similar ones from 68 to glean some info for you. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:29:01 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »
I finally found the picture of this December 68 Shelby. It appears to have a double stamp on a recycled door tag. 

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
Great,  Jeff.  I'll start on the other side and see what i can find.   Nope....I won't recreate markings that aren't on my car.  I only put the ones I found on my 69 Super Bee when I redid that one,  and will only put the ones I see back on my car.  Nice to see the other examples though.   Thanks for the help.

Dave
Dave
 (8F02S)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
I finally found the picture of this December 68 Shelby. It appears to have a double stamp on a recycled door tag.

Looks like the dealer never broke off the lower section that was designed to be used as as part of the temporary warranty card in the glove box. Have a number of these and they seem to be mostly (if I recall correctly) 68s
Jeff Speegle

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »
Jeff,

Doesn't the trans number look like a "5" then a "-" followed by maybe a "2"?  I definitely see the top part of a "5" above the fill plug.   

Mounted up some front end parts.  Mainly for a move to my other shop since we're moving soon and I sold my shop.   Yes...i know the hood has to come off for the engine installation, but there's less chance of damage to it on the car than there is if it's sitting around the shop.

And before everyone jumps all over me and freaks out about my engine service decal location,  that's where it was on my car!  :D ;D You know I'm all joking about freaking out, of course.   :o. I'll post up a photo later (it's in the home computer)  8)

Cheers
Dave
Dave
 (8F02S)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 02:01:52 PM »
Jeff,
Doesn't the trans number look like a "5" then a "-" followed by maybe a "2"?  I definitely see the top part of a "5" above the fill plug.   

Since I can only see it from one angle (the one or two in the pictures) and you see it in person you would be a much judge as to what is there

And before everyone jumps all over me and freaks out about my engine service decal location,  that's where it was on my car!  :D ;D You know I'm all joking about freaking out, of course.   :o. I'll post up a photo later (it's in the home computer)  8)

The position is not unusual since you have a Dearborn car though I don't believe you have posted when your car was built (so I could offer comparisons from same time period) the location is just different from cars built elsewhere and that is what makes them different. At least one fo these cars is featured in it's own thread here on the site as a nice unrestored example.  A few examples from through the year 

8F01S1064xx

8F01C134xxx

8F01T1822xx

8F01R196xx

Jeff Speegle

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 10:54:46 PM »
Gotcha,  Jeff.  Yes, I already posted my car's build info.  Built late December and my deck is in the same position.   That's for the references!  Very cool!

As you said.... more trans markings on the other side and yes,  those other markings are blue.  These are yellow. Transmission mount has a big brown slash on the front metal portion of the mount too.

Cheers
Dave
Dave
 (8F02S)