Author Topic: Hood hinge "color"  (Read 3275 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Hood hinge "color"
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
What would be the correct color for the hood hinges on my 1965 Mustang with a Feburary build date?  Thanks, Ron

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Hood hinge "color"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:26:56 PM »
phosphate & oil finish. medium to dark grey color.
5F09C331248

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
Carlite

Thank you for that.  How about a couple pointers on how to achieve a phosphate & oil finish?  I've never tackled that one before.  Thanks, Ron...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
Carlite

Thank you for that.  How about a couple pointers on how to achieve a phosphate & oil finish?  I've never tackled that one before.  Thanks, Ron...

There are a number of tutorials on the site if you use the search feature  ;)

Almost 300 related topics/threads.

Try "phosphate oil" Search out the how to threads you'll find instructions, suppliers for the chemicals, step by step - what worked and didn't work for others

Jim did a Phosphating 101 thread with allot of discussion and pictures of some of the steps and the results

Have fun
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:35:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.  I also found this online written by Jim Heasley of Mustang Monthly Magazine:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/mump-1103-how-to-apply-phosphate-and-oil-coating/

Ron

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.  I also found this online written by Jim Heasley of Mustang Monthly Magazine:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/mump-1103-how-to-apply-phosphate-and-oil-coating/

Ron

Yes think you'll find the information I added after you responded to my earlier post more complete. Bob had an employee demonstrate how he does it years ago at a Judging Seminar Charles arranged at his shop
Jeff Speegle

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, but not sure I have the time for a do-it-youself phosphate project.  Is there anyone reliable who applies this procedure to hood hinges for a fee?  I'd be happy to pony up a reasonable amount to have it done right and save some time for 2,000 other things the Mustang needs.  Lol.  Thanks, Ron

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »

I'm about to do my '65 Hood hinges... It's a Dearborn June '65 Car.

I'm assuming that they are supposed to be Grey Phosphate and oil finish.

When exactly did Ford paint the hood hinges black?? On 64 1/2 cars??

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:48:13 AM »
When exactly did Ford paint the hood hinges black?? On 64 1/2 cars??

Black painted hinges were from the beginning of production until around October '64.  Has been discussed several times here before.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »

So, Is it safe to assume after October '64,  ALL Hood hinges from that point one were all  Dark Phosphate and oil (Dark Greyish?) ???  or a Dark Phosphate and oil color that is Almost Black in color.  I have also found some hood hinges over the years that have had almost a Natural Metal finish.... If you could shed some light on this confusion, That would be great Charles..

Thanks,

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
Lots of previous posts on this.  Here is a good one to start:  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4624.0
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »

So, Is it safe to assume after October '64,  ALL Hood hinges from that point one were all  Dark Phosphate and oil (Dark Greyish?) ???  or a Dark Phosphate and oil color that is Almost Black in color.  I have also found some hood hinges over the years that have had almost a Natural Metal finish.... If you could shed some light on this confusion, That would be great Charles..

Thanks,

Tony K.
I think the most likely scenario for your confusion is that the shade of the plating can be effected by how long the hinges are processed in the phosphated bath . The longer left cooking in the bath the darker they will be and the shorter time the lighter the plating will be. The shade would vary depending on batch. A medium gray being the more typical IMO. The very light and the very dark are two extremes of the typical spectrum from my observations. Many service parts fall in that category from what I have seen. Others may have a different opinion.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:03:59 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »

So, Is it safe to assume after October '64,  ALL Hood hinges from that point one were all  Dark Phosphate and oil (Dark Greyish?) ???  or a Dark Phosphate and oil color that is Almost Black in color.

IMHO that would not be a true statement as far as "almost black"  Would guess you've been viewing allot of restored cars where the builder used zinc phosphate (produces a lighter gray) and have compared them to magnesium phosphate that when applied for a long time can take on a very dark color.

Plenty of service replacements and even originals that can be used to compare with a more typical finish. There are allot of variables (time, solution ....) as Bob mentions that affect the tone and tint of the finished product
Jeff Speegle

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:02 PM »
Thanks Guys for your answers...

I've probably seen lots of example that have been restored using the Birchwood/Casey Gun Blueing method which most likely explains the "Almost Black" finish...

Jeff, If you have any good pic examples of the most common shade/color of some Originals, Feel free to post some here...  It would surely help!  :o)

Much Thanks,

Tony K.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:14:55 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »
Thanks Guys for your answers...

I've probably seen lots of example that have been restored using the Birchwood/Casey Gun Blueing method which most likely explains the "Almost Black" finish...

Jeff, If you have any good pic examples of the most common shade/color of some Originals, Feel free to post some here...  It would surely help!  :o)

Wouldn't suggest using the gun bluing to try and pass for phosphating on such a large part. These likely will not truly represent what they would look like in person but here is a shot at trying

Here are two of the same hinge from one of Mike's very well preserved cars. 5F08C72755x

Different angles and lighting

Jeff Speegle