Author Topic: Bumper Guards and Exterior Decor Group, '67  (Read 4645 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Bumper Guards and Exterior Decor Group, '67
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:55:12 AM »
Hi guys, I'm digging a little deeper into the '67 coupe I just bought.  I've ordered a Marti report, and it confirmed that the car came with the Exterior Decor Group originally.  The car has front bumper guards, but the rears are missing.  However, the metal brackets that bolt to the trunk floor are still in place, so can I safely assume that the car had rear bumper guards originally also?  There were a few parts in the trunk of the car when I bought it, including a couple of metal rub strips that attach to the bumper guards.  So the strips were there, but the guards themselves were missing.  Did all '67 bumper guards have these rubber strips in them, or was it something that changed with the addition of the Exterior Decor Group?

And one final question: The car has stainless wheel well moldings, but not rocker moldings, which kind of surprised me.  Were the rocker moldings not part of the '67 Exterior Decor Group?  And would I take a big hit at shows if I add them?
Too much junk, too little time.

priceless

Re: Bumper Guards and Exterior Decor Group, '67
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
Hey Brett, Our '67 with the Interior/Exterior Décor group has been in our family 33 years and the rear bumper guards are color-keyed to match the exterior with the rubber inserts. Of course, when we restored the '67 we repainted the guards and installed new rubber inserts.

I photographed the page in the 64 1/2-73 Mustang Recognition guide of the Exterior Décor Group, and I also found on page 94 and 95 these other tidbits of info. Notice on page 95 it says, "Other 1967 Exterior Options", so the rocker panel molding was an option separate from the Exterior Décor Group.

I have included photos of our '67's rear bumper guards.....Hope this helps.

Oooops, the guards do have a few scratches,,,LOL.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:55:55 PM by priceless »

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
Richie, thanks for the response!  I had completely forgotten about you owning a '67 too.  I guess we've talked so much about '69 Mach 1s that that overshadows everything else!

A few more questions:

Should an Exterior Decor car also have matching front bumper guards?  My car has chrome front bumper guards without the rub strips, but I'm not sure if they've been replaced over the years, or if it came that way originally.  Should these front guards also be color-keyed and have the black rubber strip?  Or were the front bumper guards still an extra option?

Again, thanks for all the help!  I've got some pictures of this '67 up on Facebook if you want to see it.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »
Brett,

All 67 Mustangs came with front and rear bumper guards. It was not until the strike that affected the 68 model year that the bumper guards became a cost cutting removal, making them a paid option.

There are two type of front bumper guards, both chrome. However, the early versions have a rubber strip in the center and the later do not. All rear bumper guards are painted body color and have a rubber strip in the center.

The wheel lip molding is not stainless, rather is is bright metal (cheap alloy that is anodized).

For 67 Mustangs, rocker panel moldings were optional on all coupes and convertibles, and standard on fastbacks.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »
Brett,

All 67 Mustangs came with front and rear bumper guards. It was not until the strike that affected the 68 model year that the bumper guards became a cost cutting removal, making them a paid option.

There are two type of front bumper guards, both chrome. However, the early versions have a rubber strip in the center and the later do not. All rear bumper guards are painted body color and have a rubber strip in the center.

The wheel lip molding is not stainless, rather is is bright metal (cheap alloy that is anodized).

For 67 Mustangs, rocker panel moldings were optional on all coupes and convertibles, and standard on fastbacks.

Thanks, Pete, that answered everything I was wondering about! 

Offline denonito

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 05:20:49 AM »
Thanks Pete, this was helpful even if it is an old post ( I received a warning when posting...)
I have 2 chrome bumper guards and 2 painted(With rubber center strips) in my parts shed and figured they weren't a complete set.
I thought I should have 4 chrome or 4 painted, not a mix...
I guess the chrome are for the front and the painted for the back...
one less item for the treasure hunt...

Jeff
7R01A San Jose built, UEK1xx CA Black/Yellow

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 06:19:38 AM »
The 2 chromed ones are for the front valance and the 2 painted guards are for the rear valance.
This is how it is mounted on my car, and they appear to be original.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 11:55:27 PM »
Oops. No rocker moldings on 1967 Shelbys, however..

Offline GONE67

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
Hi Guys,
I realize this as a really old thread but thought it might be best to continue as it is related topic. Just hoping that someone can help me, with a question. I have a July 24, 1967. San Jose built fastback and it is missing the front bumper guards. Can anyone tell me what date approximately the change from front bumper guards with the rubber strip to all chrome guards, occurred. From what I have seen it was around this time. Trying to keep car as factory correct as possible and not sure which type to put on.
Kind Regards,
Michael

Offline Slawton4

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 11:47:51 PM »
Back from the dead! Same situation as Michael above, my ‘67 has a build date of 9/1/66. Should the front bumper guards have the rubber strip in the middle?

Thanks!
'67 GTA S code coupe built 9/1/66 SJ

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 06:57:05 AM »
Back from the dead! Same situation as Michael above, my ‘67 has a build date of 9/1/66. Should the front bumper guards have the rubber strip in the middle?

Thanks!
Yes. It should have the rubber strips on a chromed bumperette.
I believe the late production change to without the rubber strip was in the Springtime of 67. I will try to report back after I research it. Honestly, Ford should have kept the rubber strips and bumper guards (IMHO) to remain consistent or have at least changed the rear ones to without a rubber strip at the same time frame but this is a confusing detail for the 67 through 68 model years. Many restorers get this detail wrong for obvious reasons.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments