Author Topic: Rear tie Brackets  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Keithc8

Rear tie Brackets
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
 I have a 68 KR and 69 GT-500 and I just noticed that I put the tie down straps on them different. Should they go inside the rear strings or out side the rear springs. It looks like they could go either way but I know that only one way is probably correct. I do not know if it matters if the car had single or duel exhaust or not. Also if there is any correct way to install the bolts.

Thanks, Keith Craft
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:09:10 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear tie straps
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:43:08 AM »
Inside the springs. I usually see the bolts from the outside pointing in but I would think either is acceptable based on how/where/why they were installed
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:34 PM »
 Thanks, looks like I have them on the 68 right and the 69 wrong.

Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
I have a 68 KR and 69 GT-500 and I just noticed that I put the tie down straps on them different. Should they go inside the rear strings or out side the rear springs. It looks like they could go either way but I know that only one way is probably correct. I do not know if it matters if the car had single or duel exhaust or not. Also if there is any correct way to install the bolts.

Thanks, Keith Craft
Keith ,FYI the long ones are for the duel exhaust and the short ones are for single exhaust. Just in case your not sure. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:40:55 AM »
 Do have the long ones but have wondered what the short ones were for. I thought it might have been earlier cars. Glad to know for sure now.

Thanks, Keith

Offline astat1

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:16:53 PM »
Confused again. On Jack Brooks site the tie downs appear to go on the outside of the rear spring.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:48 AM »
Do have the long ones but have wondered what the short ones were for. I thought it might have been earlier cars. Glad to know for sure now.

Thanks, Keith

There are a number of different versions so you might have a set from an earlier year of another version for the same year.

Hard to tell without a picture ;)

Confused again. On Jack Brooks site the tie downs appear to go on the outside of the rear spring

Like Keith's question - could you be comparing apples with oranges?? ;)

There is an example of one version  - maybe your looking at a single exhaust braket

Dual exhaust bracket and mounting location

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:05:31 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 12:24:33 PM »
Confused again. On Jack Brooks site the tie downs appear to go on the outside of the rear spring.

Looks like the passenger side of a 69 Boss 429 with the tie down bracket on the inside of the rear spring to me?

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 01:44:05 AM »
any pix of originals for 66 gt350?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 02:14:03 AM »
any pix of originals for 66 gt350?

Yes though most of them were removed originally leaving only the scars from the brackets and hardware

Fair number of them shown in the following thread. Just used the search. Same as 1966 K codes and original GT's

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cqjitlb2s3k5vgkc3qk2bfa323&topic=10470.msg62608#msg62608
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)