Author Topic: pcv valve sucking oil into intake  (Read 1170 times)

Offline chris70

pcv valve sucking oil into intake
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:40:36 AM »
hey guys ive got a problem maybe someone here has delt with before I have a 351 Windsor to the best of my knowledge the engine is stock with an edelbrock performer intake, 600 edelbrock carb and a cobra dress up kit the problem im having is that oil is being sucked thru the pcv valve and into the intake . I replaced the valve and replaced the baffle in the valve cover, the baffle that came with the covers was just a flat piece of sheet metal. this is a problem because im loosing a lot of oil. there are absolutely no leaks or smoke this is the only problem I can find

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: pcv valve sucking oil into intake
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »
Be sure the PCV vacuum source is BELOW the throttle plates. Be sure also that the opposite side valve cover is vented (also with a baffle) to the atmosphere somehow(usually to the air cleaner housing) The PCV requires the vent to function correctly. Third possibility, excessive blow-by past the piston rings could be the cause, and if excessive blow by is the cause, you may not be able to prevent this by "normal" means. With you already mentioning that the baffle is in place on the PCV side, these three things are the only likely possibilities.

Sometimes, on vehicles that are RACE ONLY, you do not get enough vacuum at full throttle to keep the blow-by down...That is a different story. They have methods on those machines too but I assume we are talking "street Machine" without a turbo or supercharger here.

Richard (Self-Employed, full time professional mechanic.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:25:29 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Brian Conway

Re: pcv valve sucking oil into intake
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 03:08:18 PM »
Usually valve seals and not the worst thing that it might be.  Take a look at your valve stems below the keepers and above the valve guide.  Should be an ' umbrella ' on the stem if not you will see the pieces and you will need to re-install on each valve stem.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.