Author Topic: '67 power steering pump stud(with a/c)  (Read 711 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 power steering pump stud(with a/c)
« on: May 23, 2015, 11:34:45 PM »
I need to replace the long stud attaching the power steering mounting bracket to the engine.  I know how difficult it is to remove the a/c compressor....removing one or more hard to reach bolts.  I'm thinking of removing the cooling fan and shroud and sliding the pump forward off the long stud so I can get to the stud...I tried to remove it by welding a nut on the end but wasn't successful...there's not enough of the threaded end sticking out to try the "2 nuts approach".  I welcome any thoughts/suggestions.   

Offline RocketScientist

Re: '67 power steering pump stud(with a/c)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:33:32 AM »
From your post I am guessing that the stud is stuck in the block? I used vice/multigrips to get a good grip on the end of the stud to loosen mine but I found it was important to hold (support) the pump and bracket as you are turning the stud. The weight of the pump causes it to bind in the block making it difficult to turn otherwise. Also, have you tried sliding the pump foreword on the stud so you can apply penetrating oil at the block opening. Failing that, have you tried removing the front support bracket to get access to more of the thread to work with.

Good luck as its a bummer to have to remove the Fan shroud.
Brad