Author Topic: 70 Shelby Parts Paint Marks  (Read 6074 times)

Offline ddonzella

70 Shelby Parts Paint Marks
« on: July 26, 2015, 12:54:29 PM »
I have a June 12, 1969 Shelby GT 350. I would like to know if there is a paint kit available for putting the various paint marks on my leaf springs, drive shafts and coil springs?  A question for Jeff. I have discovered  a yellow stripe and I think what appears to be a beige stripe on my coil spring. Am I translating the residual color proprly?  My rear leafs have no stripes di sera able on them. Does my build sheet give accurate colors for my Shelby?

Thank you

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Shelby Parts Paint Marks
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
I have a June 12, 1969 Shelby GT 350. I would like to know if there is a paint kit available for putting the various paint marks on my leaf springs, drive shafts and coil springs?  A question for Jeff. I have discovered  a yellow stripe and I think what appears to be a beige stripe on my coil spring. Am I translating the residual color proprly?  My rear leafs have no stripes di sera able on them.

Buildsheets I have show Yellow & Tan for both transmissions with AC

Picture of how I choose to reproduce the look on #1897

Does my build sheet give accurate colors for my Shelby?

If I recall correctly - just about everything except the rear springs and shocks (shock area of the page is left blank)  from what we've found. It's believed that those were swapped out at AO Smith

Of course the buildsheets will only provide you with about 10-20% of all the original marks but it will be the common/typical marks that will be well documented. Some we find odd marks that may have only been applied to a single car or that indicated a problem on that particular car.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 05:48:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:00:38 PM »
Thanks Jeff. What about a paint kit that comes with various colors?? Is one available?

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
Quanta sells small bottles of paint for this purpose. They explain that the big three all used similar marks for identifying parts. They don't state that these are accurate matches for Ford, and it seems that in general their business is aimed at Corvette restoration. I have not used them and I have not seen any reviews or critiques. I'm mentioning because I ran across it, and because I'm hoping that one of the experts here can evaluate whether any of the offered colors would be applicable to Mustangs & other Fords.

http://www.gastanks.com/Chassis-Inspection-Marks/products/1953/3/0
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:12:54 PM »
Thanks Jeff. What about a paint kit that comes with various colors?? Is one available?

Your not often going to match something right out of the bottle or jar and it depends on what you have to mark. Some colors or parts will take allot more than other and if you try and match you want to mix allot more than you'll need for the job - since if you run short you'll never get a really good match the second time. Don't this for 25 years and made that mistake too many times

For your (single car) usage The yellow will be used in a number of areas so would suggest not getting the really small jars like Testors instead get a pint of Rustoleum.. They make a strong yellow that can be used in a number of areas (tie rods, center link, pittman and idler as well as the front springs)

For the tan you might just be able to get by with one brown (they even make a tan but its not always easy to find) and one white Testor model enamel and mix both together in another jar to get something that looks like a light tan or matches what you found. If you have a nice example.

IMHO going to be a better purchase than using the Corvette colors over at Quanta ;)

Buy some cheap brushes at Harbor Freight - 1/2 and acid brushes. Apply the paint to the coil springs without loading the brushes up fully and keep the brush flat (don't follow the coil around) so that it produces a noticeable brush (jagged)  end in the direction of travel .
Jeff Speegle

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:18 PM »
Thanks gentlemen! BTW Jeff, I just finished the sludge application with spray undercoating top coat as detailed in your article. Came out very nice!!!

Offline specialed

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »
the 69 Shelby s9ms rear leaf springs has a white color on the front eyelet end
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:13:10 AM by specialed »

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:42:38 PM »
Thank you!

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »
White on the end as in the round  section or the flat section going into the eyelet?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 07:23:40 AM »
White on the end as in the round  section or the flat section going into the eyelet?
Bottom flat maybe 2" before end of spring. sprayed dot from what I've seen
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
In this photo you can see the yellow stripe on the front of the spring, and what looks to be a yellow paint stick mark near the top closer to the back side of the spring (relative to the car). I do not see any indication of any other marks, but they may not have been as durable as the yellow and may no longer be visible.

http://www.redshost.com/gt350/imgpages/image558.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:33:15 PM by 69GT350H »
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »
Thanks!  BTW David R. your picture gallery of the GT350 is very nice.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 12:50:27 AM »
I.......... I do not see any indication of any other marks, but they may not have been as durable as the yellow and may no longer be visible.

Did you find  buildsheet? That would confirm what originally it was marked
Can't think of a coil spring on a Mustang that were mismatched like you can sometimes find (order or an extra stripe) on the rear leaf springs

These coils could always (not common) have the over/under spray painted white stripe but normally didn't
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:38:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 10:44:33 AM »
Did you find  buildsheet? That would confirm what originally it was marked/ Cont think of a coil spring on a Mustang that were mismatched like you can sometimes find (order or an extra stripe) on the rear leaf springs
+1 . 2 stripes typically on coil spring .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 11:11:04 AM »
Thanks!  BTW David R. your picture gallery of the GT350 is very nice.

Thank you. Fortunately/Unfortunately I do my own hosting and for the past couple of days my internet connection by  Comcast  has been down. Hard to believe in this day with all the personal and professional services that rely on these connections that they could let this go on this long. Least I have my cell phone.

When I took my car apart back in the 80's/90's, I did find my build sheet and had it in the warehouse where I was working on the car. It, along with some other paperwork was lost when Andrew hit. So I will have to go with documenting what I find, and relying on the rest of you for what I am missing.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build