Author Topic: reproduction autolite batteries are JUNK! I will take the points deduction.  (Read 9081 times)

Offline cobrajetchris

This is the second group 27 battery that went bad on me in 2 years and I have kept it trickle charged with a battery tender and more loving care than I ever would dream of doing to my riding lawn mower battery that I paid $40.00 bucks for 3 years ago that still works fine with no maintenance at all. I am going to buy a Motorcraft battery and be done with it. $259.00 for a worthless boat anchor, NEVER AGAIN. Dealing with all of this reproduction garbage out there is the most challenging part of this hobby.  >:(
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Brian Conway

I just bought one of these today.  NPD, Group 27, ' Sealed Maintenance Free ' $288.00.  I got one of these about six years ago from Antique Auto Battery and it was nothing but a bad experience from day one.  It was $255.00 + s&h $47.00.  It was a liquid battery, would not hold a charge so I shipped it back another $50.00.  They got the battery and determined I had done something to cause it to fail and refused a refund.  I was not real happy with the treatment I received.  I have had two Group 24's in my 65 in the last 15 years and they seem to hold up just fine.  So I understand the anger.  Brian   
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline ruppstang

I had trouble with a group 24. I ended up buying a new acid fill and have never filled it. I also bought a $75 dollar auto parts battery that I drive with and change to the Autolite for the shows. I wish that some one would offer a Autolite empty case.
You might want to consider cutting open the bottom of your case and removing the lead plates. Then you will not need to buy any thing but a dependable battery.
Marty 

Offline MattDoscher

Just go with the reproduction topper on your modern battery.  From the top it looks factory and it's a good alternative to spending big money on a NOS or repro whole battery.
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline ruppstang

Just go with the reproduction topper on your modern battery.  From the top it looks factory and it's a good alternative to spending big money on a NOS or repro whole battery.

Those toppers are good for every day looks but will earn you a 6 point deduction in MCA concours classes.

Offline ChrisV289

I had trouble with a group 24. I ended up buying a new acid fill and have never filled it. I also bought a $75 dollar auto parts battery that I drive with and change to the Autolite for the shows. I wish that some one would offer a Autolite empty case.
You might want to consider cutting open the bottom of your case and removing the lead plates. Then you will not need to buy any thing but a dependable battery.
Marty

One of my friends did the same thing. Cut the top off, gutted the inside and glued the top back on.  Just swap out batteries at the show and use a dead battery while on the field.  Weighs a lot less too  ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:49:25 AM by ChrisV289 »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Those toppers are good for every day looks but will earn you a 6 point deduction in MCA concours classes.

current rules state only a 3 point deduction. i wish it were 6.
5F09C331248

Offline ruppstang

current rules state only a 3 point deduction. i wish it were 6.
I should have said I was referring to the current 67-68 Shelby judge sheet -6 deduction.
Marty

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
Take an Autolite battery box, cut the top off and remove the insides carefully.  Get a wheelchair battery, set up the posts with shorter cables in the box, and you're good to go.  I've had that in my 68 coupe for more than 10 years now.  If you keep it on the battery tender the small batteries will last three or four years.  And, they start my 289 just fine. 

It is harder with the 65/66 models, but it can be done.  My friend did it on his Shelby.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline Richard P.

If the 1965/66 rules state 3 point deduction for the topper cover on the battery and the 1967/68 rules state 6 point deduction for the topper cover  on the battery their is inconsistency in the MCA judging rules. That should be fixed as I feel the point deduction should be the same across the board or concourse cars.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
the rules are consistent on that point between those groups. he was referring to the shelby rules.
5F09C331248

Offline Richard P.

the rules are consistent on that point between those groups. he was referring to the shelby rules.
I don't think that the 1965/66 Shelby batteries are any different than that of a 1965/66 Mustang . Please correct me if I'm wrong. If they are different then I can see the deduction for the toppers being different. IMHO we are the same MCA club and our rules need to  follow some kind of pattern. I agree with you Carlite65 the point deduction for the toppers covers should be 6 points across the board.

Offline ruppstang

I don't think that the 1965/66 Shelby batteries are any different than that of a 1965/66 Mustang . Please correct me if I'm wrong. If they are different then I can see the deduction for the toppers being different. IMHO we are the same MCA club and our rules need to  follow some kind of pattern. I agree with you Carlite65 the point deduction for the toppers covers should be 6 points across the board.

I think this discussion would be more useful at the MCA judges meeting in September. See you there?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Believe the sheets matched at one point then they got changed. Charles & Pete spent allot of time making sure things were consistent across the early sheets.

Should not be a problem changing the 65-55 back to 6 point deduction The intent was do remove the motivation to use these since they are not even close to the original battery in look - the point/focus of the class
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
I think this discussion would be more useful at the MCA judges meeting in September. See you there?

you betcha!!
5F09C331248