Author Topic: A/C System Restoration  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
A/C System Restoration
« on: August 07, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »
The 68 J-Code I'm working on came with factory installed air. Looking for some advice and references for vendors to help with restoring some of the many components. Can many of these items be restored and if not which items should one replace. I'd like to keep the engine bay original. Last question is it reccommended to upgrade the system to the newer refrigerant.

Thanks,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: A/C System Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:50:08 PM »
The 68 J-Code I'm working on came with factory installed air. Looking for some advice and references for vendors to help with restoring some of the many components. Can many of these items be restored and if not which items should one replace. I'd like to keep the engine bay original. Last question is it reccommended to upgrade the system to the newer refrigerant.

Thanks,

Classic Auto Aire has a restoration service available for original items.
I have not used them for every component so perhaps some others can chime in with their experience also.
I did have them restore my dryer from off the side of my condenser. That item came out pretty good and I am pleased with it.
I have considered buying a compressor overhaul kit from them.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:59 PM »
Classic Auto Air would be good to restore/test the evaporator coil and possibly rebuild the compressor.  Otherwise, I would recommend buying a new condenser and dryer as those usually do not fare very well over time.  The rest of it is just regular restoration work.  Install new box seals and heater core, new vacuum hoses, etc...  The '68 LH side control panels are bad about the lower section breaking off, in which case you'd be looking for a good original.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:23:23 PM »
Classic Auto Aire has a restoration service available for original items.
I have not used them for every component so perhaps some others can chime in with their experience also.
I did have them restore my dryer from off the side of my condenser. That item came out pretty good and I am pleased with it.
I have considered buying a compressor overhaul kit from them.
I wasn't aware that they restored the original dryers. How much did they charge .Could you post a picture of the dryer that you had them restore? I would like to confirm that it is in fact a assemblyline dryer vs a service replacement.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 11:47:39 PM »
I have had them restore the assembly line dryers. It seems like it was around $100. I have one on our 68 HCS.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:20:29 AM »
Hoses can be restored. Replated fittings, hoses replaced with up to date materials for r132. Not sure what the final product will look like with crimps and new hose.

R12 frepn can still be purchased, it's just not manufactured anymore in the USA.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:11:14 AM »
Hoses can be restored. Replated fittings, hoses replaced with up to date materials for r132. Not sure what the final product will look like with crimps and new hose.

R12 frepn can still be purchased, it's just not manufactured anymore in the USA.
Fittings can be replated but if the hose material is sun or heat faded you can only repaint them with some of the rubberized paint . You however lose all of the printing that is on a original set . Original hoses in good condition are still relatively plentiful. Remade hoses with new rubber hose and fittings does not look even close to a  original .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 02:32:25 AM »
I have had an original aluminum dryer for a 67 rebuilt, they cut the bottom off replace the desiccant for either R12 or 134r and re weld the bottom.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 06:23:01 AM »
I have had an original aluminum dryer for a 67 rebuilt, they cut the bottom off replace the desiccant for either R12 or 134r and re weld the bottom.

+1
I have seen at their site they also will rebuild original expansion valves (typically hard to find original-style).

Exchange Rebuilt Clutches are available at times or you might send yours in for the service.

Many vendors (including CAA) carry new clutch brushes but I cannot confirm how well any of these aftermarket versions match to OE Ford parts. Original Service Replacement Brush Sets often carry the C8 engineering number, with Ford Oval, slightly different than the earlier versions but at least very close to originals. I would say that depending the scope of your project, you should be careful in your selections.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 06:42:04 AM »
I wasn't aware that they restored the original dryers. How much did they charge .Could you post a picture of the dryer that you had them restore? I would like to confirm that it is in fact a assemblyline dryer vs a service replacement.

Some BEFORE pics.
I marked mine & noted the welds before sending it in. I recieved the same drier back and had difficulty in noticing their work ( but you can see where they opened it up when you look close enough)

AFTER pics would need to be added later. Currently, the dryer is mounted to the condenser & is in storage. Not hard to unpack, I suppose but perhaps somebody has easier pics to upload. As I mentioned, it was mine sent back and you really had to look to see any changes. For example, the welding pattern wasn't identical (like no signature is the same ;) )
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:22:54 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
Some BEFORE pics.
I marked mine & noted the welds before sending it in. I recieved the same drier back and had difficulty in noticing their work ( but you can see where they opened it up when you look close enough)

AFTER pics would need to be added later. Currently, the dryer is mounted to the condenser & is in storage. Not hard to unpack, I suppose but perhaps somebody has easier pics to upload. As I mentioned, it was mine sent back and you really had to look to see any changes. For example, the welding pattern wasn't identical (like no signature is the same ;) )
I'll take your word for it .No need to unpack. Yes that mounting band around the diameter indicates a assemblyline unit. If they opened it by cutting it at the original opening weld and put it back the same way is what i was concerned about.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »

The vast majority of the time (at least the ones I've seen) look played with and different from factory. Likely different materials, crimping machine and so on
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
Here's another vendor that I've used in addition to Classic Auto Air: Old Air Products of Fort Worth, Texas.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 07:31:02 AM »
Along the "lines" of discussion of underhood items, particularly the valves that connect the lines to the compressor (including the associated caps)...
What are the best options? Replating the valves, buy the replacement caps? Buy new valves & new caps? What have others done with these details to keep it "easy", keep expenses to a minimum & yet get the best results along Concours standards. (Yes, the default/safe answer is "Restore your Originals", but what are best alternative options)
Richard Urch

Offline tobkob

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
After being 'dinged' for a 'dinged' cap I opted to order new caps from NPD. They look like the originals so I put the originals up and installed the repros.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.