Author Topic: 1970 Leaf Spring/Differential Paint Mark Colors/Locations  (Read 2083 times)

Offline sbted95

1970 Leaf Spring/Differential Paint Mark Colors/Locations
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
Hi guys.  I have a 1970 Dearborn R code 4 speed car.  I no longer have the stock rear leaf springs.  I bought a new set from NPD, stripped them, and painted them the Zinc Phosphate from Eastwood.  Could one of you please tell me what color(s) and the location of the marks I should add to my springs.  In addition, are there identifying marks on the rear end/differential that I need to apply?  Thanks in advance for your help and time.  If possible, pictures would be AMAZING!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Leaf Spring/Differential Paint Mark Colors/Locations
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:57 PM »
Need so more info

Body style?

Mach I ?

Guessing its a PS no AC car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sbted95

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:54:02 PM »
Sorry about that Jeff!  It is a PS, PB, non-AC, Mach 1 CJ ....January build date.  Thanks!  :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
Closest match I've got shows 4 stripes at the rear (just ahead of the rear shackle) end of the long/bottom leaf

2 yellow stripes then 2 brown

Example of the style, size and location  (but not color or color order ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline sbted95

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:14:33 AM »
That is PERFECT!  Thanks.  Since we are on the spring topic...what about markings for the front coils?  Do you paint yours a semi-gloss on the base?  Any rear end markings?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:30:15 AM »
Since we are on the spring topic...what about markings for the front coils?

One gold - One pink applied off the car (spring laying down or on the top flat coil so that the drips travel upward once installed if any were produced.

Do you paint yours a semi-gloss on the base?

For the front springs ??? Never have seen front coil springs that were painted black

Any rear end markings?

Since the housing had markings and the third member had markings (when it was assembled, inspected and such)  there can be a dozen or so different markings.

But that's a subject that would take about 5 hours to research, double check and assemble  its not one I cover normally on the forum. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline sbted95

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
I will definitely do more research regarding the rear-end markings.  I thank you greatly for your input.  I am going to pull apart my front end in a week or two and will paint the front coils/add markings.  One guy told me the front coils were black....I guess I need to discard that thought!  :)  What rattle can color do you use on the front coils?  (last question of the night...I promise!)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 01:16:55 AM »
...............What rattle can color do you use on the front coils?  (last question of the night...I promise!)

You can use one of the metal darkening products spoken about in multiple threads here along with a protective oil or use a light coat of Eastwood phosphate paint with a dry coat of interior - dark charcoal metallic over the coils 
Jeff Speegle

Offline sbted95

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
Thanks!!!