Author Topic: 1970 AT Floor Shifter Wire  (Read 1624 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

1970 AT Floor Shifter Wire
« on: February 25, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »
The wire going from the floor shifter to the firewall wire harness, has a cover over it much like the rattle covers on the door latch rods.
Mine is frayed and damaged and I need to find a new on or somehow fix the one I have. I have tried taping it with the mesh tape used to attach the plastic wire harness clips for example the wiper motor wires, but that's not the answer as you can see from my attached picture
Does anyone know if these are reproduced or where to get one in good condition. This wire feeds power to the shifter light.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 AT Floor Shifter Wire
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »
The tar covered woven loom/wire covers are out there (used in other parts of the car) Not sure if the uncoated stuff is available.  If it is someone will respond with a source
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »
Thanks Jeff, my problem is getting it on the wire, both ends are fused with a rubber grommet, so getting the cover on is impossible unless the smaller rubber grommet is cut off and hopefully can be replaced with glue.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »
If it is someone will respond with a source
Try Rhode Island Wiring. http://www.riwire.com/ No guarantees.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, decided to restore it myself, replaced the sleeve with a repro rattle rod sleeve, a bit of cutting, cleaning, glueing and sealing and this is how it turned out. I think it looks pretty good, you be the judge.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
Nice job
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 04:28:51 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, decided to restore it myself, replaced the sleeve with a repro rattle rod sleeve, a bit of cutting, cleaning, glueing and sealing and this is how it turned out. I think it looks pretty good, you be the judge.

+1 PASS!

I've done a similar job on my 67's hood turn lamp harness. Nobody makes the correct "early" version and so I had to get creative, using what was on the market in reproduction and adapting it to be correct. I was fortunate to locate a frayed & tattered original early version (Thank you Randy ;)) to use as a template and using images of original examples, was able to do a very similar job on it!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
OK...where's the splice for the wire under the sleeve?  Or...how did you maneuver the sleeve on over the large male bullet plug?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline tobkob

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 11:05:05 PM »
Or...how did you maneuver the sleeve on over the large male bullet plug?

Lots of slickum I bet... ;D

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:47:49 AM »
Firstly, thanks for the complement Jeff, next how I did it, first you do NOT cut the wire. The smaller male end wire connector grommet has casting/molding lines on each side of it 180 deg of each other, use a razor knife and cut the grommet along one of the lines, then carefully peel it of the male end connector. The sleeve is actually molded into the grommet but can be cleaned out of the grommet to accept a new sleeve. Now you can remove the old sleeve from the wire, I removed all but left about 3/8" of old sleeve in the large rubber grommet on the other end. I then wicked down the bit of original sleeve with a little pressure and twisting with my fingers. Now slide the new sleeve over the wire and then with some crazy glue on the wicked end, push the new sleeve onto the wicked end it should come close to the rubber grommet and be glued in place, I dry fitted it several times before gluing it in place. I used a little Ultra black gasket maker to seal off the sleeve joint against the grommet. The rattle sleeve is pretty much the exact length for the wire but it was not sticking out so I cut it back just so I could grab the male connector to pull it out of the sleeve. Now pull the sleeve back until you expose the correct amount of connector and place the cut small rubber grommet over the male connector and sleeve end so the sleeve is inside the grommet like originally and the male connector sticks out the correct amount, use a little crazy glue on the cut joint, then hold together and the glued joint is not even detectable when glued because it was cut along the original grommet casting/molding mark. I used a little scotch tape around the grommet to hold it together for a few hours. Hope this helps others restore their decayed wire sleeves.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
Firstly, thanks for the complement Jeff, next how I did it, first you do NOT cut the wire. The smaller male end wire connector grommet has casting/molding lines on each side of it 180 deg of each other, use a razor knife and cut the grommet along one of the lines, then carefully peel it of the male end connector. The sleeve is actually molded into the grommet but can be cleaned out of the grommet to accept a new sleeve. Now you can remove the old sleeve from the wire, I removed all but left about 3/8" of old sleeve in the large rubber grommet on the other end. I then wicked down the bit of original sleeve with a little pressure and twisting with my fingers. Now slide the new sleeve over the wire and then with some crazy glue on the wicked end, push the new sleeve onto the wicked end it should come close to the rubber grommet and be glued in place, I dry fitted it several times before gluing it in place. I used a little Ultra black gasket maker to seal off the sleeve joint against the grommet. The rattle sleeve is pretty much the exact length for the wire but it was not sticking out so I cut it back just so I could grab the male connector to pull it out of the sleeve. Now pull the sleeve back until you expose the correct amount of connector and place the cut small rubber grommet over the male connector and sleeve end so the sleeve is inside the grommet like originally and the male connector sticks out the correct amount, use a little crazy glue on the cut joint, then hold together and the glued joint is not even detectable when glued because it was cut along the original grommet casting/molding mark. I used a little scotch tape around the grommet to hold it together for a few hours. Hope this helps others restore their decayed wire sleeves.

Nice description! Necessity is the mother of invention! I thought you snipped off the brass contact within the lamp and drilled out the wire remnants with a tiny drill bit, did all the re-work and re-assembled, soldering the original contact back on. OK, that is how I did my '67 harness so it looked close to the same process. I did not have to deal with a grommet either but your idea/method is great!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 11:33:09 AM »
Thanks yes it worked out well and am very happy with the outcome. Have attached a couple of other pics to show the shifter detailing I did but you or the judges would never see. I even re-plated all the original screws and hold down plate for the indicator.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:45:03 AM by 1970 Snake »