Author Topic: Tie rod adjuster sleeves  (Read 2032 times)

Offline austr6

Tie rod adjuster sleeves
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:46:48 PM »
Hello all,
I have a question regarding the tie rod adjuster sleeves (the threaded piece of pipe with clamps at either end between the inner and outer tie rods).
my vehicle has the factory fitted power steering, and it has the same diameter sleeves on the l/h side as well as the r/h side.
Is this correct for my vehicle or should one size be a much larger diameter than the other? according to my supplier of parts, he believes it should be the later of the two ? but he is not 100% sure.
Kind regards, Richard.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Auto ,Air conditioning, Power Steering
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline jwc66k

Re: Tie rod adjuster sleeves
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:28 AM »
my vehicle has the factory fitted power steering, and it has the same diameter sleeves on the l/h side as well as the r/h side.
Is this correct for my vehicle or should one size be a much larger diameter than the other?
He's correct, the left side is larger and uses different clamps and bolts, 379179-S2. That bolt has a square "shoulder" at the head (it's still a hex head bolt) and it's a 3/8-24X1 5/8 inch long, grade 5. The nut is special too, 372755-S(8) 3/8-24 cone locking.
All the above hardware is documented in the Library section of this forum under "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet 64-66". You will find two spreadsheet, one by part number, the other by application, aka location/application. Under the application scan down to "Tie Rod - - " for further info. The source is the 75 Ford Car parts, MPC, SEC 030 P18,ILL 036 P04, 05, 06. As far as I can tell, the bolt is not reproduced and is only available from salvage yards.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.