Author Topic: Convertible windshield trim  (Read 1214 times)

Offline machm1970

Convertible windshield trim
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »
I would like to restore the metal trim around the windshield on my '70 convertible, is it aluminum or stainless? What the best method to restore it?
Thanks,
Matt

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Convertible windshield trim
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:34 PM »
I would like to restore the metal trim around the windshield on my '70 convertible, is it aluminum or stainless? What the best method to restore it?
Thanks,
Matt
Stainless. I would google Eastwood . They have various kits and supplies to polish stainless. The short answer is it is a matter of several steps in levels polishing media baring having to repair any deep scratches in the surface. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 10:28:22 PM »
I have found this stuff to be great.  WENOL and I get it online googlr or Amazon.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline ragtop

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »
The trim is stainless.  I had mine restored by a local chrome shop.  They eliminated a nasty rock dent on the driver's side pillar and then polished the entire trim set.  I came out beautiful.  These same guys had previously re-chromed my deck trim hockey sticks, which are pot metal, and polished the stainless center section.  That also came out a perfect match between the chrome finish and the polished stainless.  I had put Wheel Vintique's chrome rallye wheels on the car as well and the center caps, which were stainless, had yellowed and looked odd with the bright chrome wheels.  Same guys polished my caps and they look as shiny and bright as the wheels.
I couldn't fix your brakes so I made your horn louder.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »

Depends on how bad it is. Dents and dings will need to be worked out first and any piece that need it should be straightened. For polish a wheel is best and will make the process quicker. If its light scratches and you have the time polishing by hand is going to take some time but you can get it done.

Another good IMHO product is Nevr-Dull

http://www.nevrdull.com/What.htm
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)