Author Topic: NOS Stripe kit  (Read 2399 times)

Offline randybob

NOS Stripe kit
« on: May 12, 2015, 02:16:36 AM »
I have a very nice well cared for NOS 1969 mach 1 stripe kit can it be safely used ?  would hate to mess up a great paint job

thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: NOS Stripe kit
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:46:36 AM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find it useful in your concours related needs

From what I understand from others who have tried. There are often issues with the stripes being brittle or the adhesive dying after all these years. Not surprising especially considering how many were stored, high heat, moisture or what have you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline randybob

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice.I have been lurking on this site and a few others and have gleamed much information. My project is a 69 428cj mach 1 I have owned since 1982. I am the second owner.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »
If it is well cared for and no "seperated" areas of backing (that contaminates the glue) you should be fine.   

I helped a friend with an NOS Boss set last year - I "test fitted" a number of NOS stripes using alcohol, acetone and glue to improve stick.   None worked.   The best thing is to inspect for issues (above) and get a replacement before you commit to using.

Let us know what color kit you have !!   I have a number of incomplete NOS kits and would send you anything I have free so you can move forward comfortably!

Mark
P.S.  It's funny the NOS Boss 302 is $400.   A Mach 1 you can have!   (what is with that)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:58:33 AM »
If its screwed up as I have several Mach 1 NOS kits
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline randybob

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »

Sorry guys I somehow missed your replies or I would have answered sooner first let me say thanks for the offers. I have the gold and white stripe I have a full kit and part of a second kit. We messed around with a few piece from the second kit and the glue was pretty much dried out. My complete kit was given to me by my local ford dealer when they went out of business in the 80s it’s been kept cool and dry. My painter just didn’t want to chance it. I think at this point Ill shop around for one of the new kits and hope for the best.

Offline tobkob

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 10:24:32 PM »
I have a full NOS set and a partial  NOS set of '69 GT350 white stripes but I bought a repro set just to be safe. They worked out good.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.