Author Topic: 69 428 CJ Transverse Muffler  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Kiwi428

69 428 CJ Transverse Muffler
« on: May 22, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »
Anyone know where you can find an original? Ive looked through ebay with no real success. I believe these are a 2" pipes??

Thanks John

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 428 CJ Transverse Muffler
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »
Anyone know where you can find an original? Ive looked through ebay with no real success. I believe these are a 2" pipes??

Thanks John
The 428 CJ transverse muffler is for a 2 1/4 exhaust . I would check out Scott Fullers http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/ they look 99.99 percent correct compared to a original. Expect to pay 2000-3000 for a original Ford one that has a good 69 date and is like new condition. That is IF you can even find one for sale. Later service replacement versions are marked with a Julian date (days of the year ) instead of the day month and year format the assemblyline mufflers used. If it doesn't look like assemblyline then it is lacking IMO. Scott Fuller Mufflers look like the assemblyline. I mention the alternative because if you don't know the difference between a 2" transverse and a 2 1/4 (actually 2 1/8 at the transverse inlet pipes) you could easily make a mistake. It also begs the question -do you have the original 2 1/4 intermediate pipes with it's unique looking resonators to match a correct transverse? There are many MANY misrepresented transverse mufflers out there especially on Ebay.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:36:52 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 12:31:33 AM »

Thanks John
Scott Fuller sells them, properly stamped and OEM looking. Yes, all factory transverse mufflers were 2", big block or small. That is why I went with a totally aftermarket exhaust system that is at least 2 1/4 all the way through.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/6245393.htm

EDIT - My error, this is a 2.15" muffler. I think its the resonators that are only 2" then.

Edit again - I must have been having a bad day. Its a 2.25" Transverse Muffler, and I was making my original correction while BOB was correcting my original post.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:53:09 AM by David R »
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 12:50:35 AM »
Scott Fuller sells them, properly stamped and OEM looking. Yes, all factory transverse mufflers were 2", big block or small. That is why I went with a totally aftermarket exhaust system that is at least 2 1/4 all the way through.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/6245393.htm

EDIT - My error, this is a 2.15" muffler. I think its the resonators that are only 2" then.
No you are mixed up. There is a 2 inch exhaust for the lower performance engines like the base 302,351 etc. and the 2 1/4 system for the Boss 302 ,428 CJ and Boss 429 . Where you are getting confused is that the 2 1/4 pipe necks down to 2 inch at the resonator (not to be confused with transverse) . The same size resonator is used for both exhaust systems . In case you or those reading are confused the transverse muffler has 2 inlet and 2 outlet pipes  and the resonator is the glass pack looking item.  The 2 1/4 system  transverse pipes neck down to 2 1/8 . The 2 " system has a transverse with 2" pipes. Two different transverse sizes . Two different intermediate pipe sizes.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:53:08 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Kiwi428

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:51:55 AM »
Thanks Bob,
I will look through the Scott Fuller parts and see what I need to complete the whole car. Spent a lot of money in trying to get it to original and with the motor currently getting rebuilt, the exhaust would be the next. My hope is to have a "driven concours' car, so I suspect you need to go to these lenghts/costs if you want originality.

Thanks David

Thanks for heads up.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
Thanks Bob,
I will look through the Scott Fuller parts and see what I need to complete the whole car. Spent a lot of money in trying to get it to original and with the motor currently getting rebuilt, the exhaust would be the next. My hope is to have a "driven concours' car, so I suspect you need to go to these lenghts/costs if you want originality.

Thanks David

Thanks for heads up.
David ,a driven concours is a excellent application for Scott's items. It is not the best place for hard to find NOS parts unless on a limitedly driven survivor car IMO. There is only a finite number and they start to degrade immediately upon use.The transverse is just one facet in a over all original look. Hopefully the body,interior undercarriage and engine compartment are all given the same attention. I just don't want to see you get fixated on one part when the surrounding big picture can be improved more easily and visibly first.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »
Trust us a Fuller SYSTEM will be so easy to use that when you SEE IT and then fit it you will question why all parts don't have the fit and finish!
This includes, packaging, components and customer service from Scott!

Even if you think you have some parts, pipes or options - just get a full system !   They are made to fit accordingly and eliminate problems all other options will create!

Mark
P.S.  With everyone else getting what they want , vacations, tech and cloths - treat yourself !
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »
I have used Scott's system on 5 cars so far and getting ready for the 6th.   All I can say is from my experience, Excellent!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0