Author Topic: Removing Hood Scoop Issue  (Read 1045 times)

Offline 9F94M567042

Removing Hood Scoop Issue
« on: May 23, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
Hello All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, feel free to move it if necessary. Anyway, the issue is this- I have a 1969 Cougar with the hood scoop. I'm trying to remove it to for one, check the markings on the underside, and it needs to come off for repainting anyway. Some of the nuts on the studs threaded into the scoop came off with no problems. However, the rest do not wish to come off and now the studs are just turning round and round on the scoop bosses and won't come off either. Being that this is such a small area, I can't figure out how to hold the stud from turning so I can remove the nuts. Does anyone have any ideas? Like I said, now the studs won't tighten back into the scoop bosses and the nuts won't break free either.

Thanks!

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Removing Hood Scoop Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 04:36:25 PM »
See if you can get a small shim/wedge  in there.  Between the nut and the hood and apply a little pressure while turning the nut ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline djburton

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
The only thing you can do is carefully pry the scoop up off the hood,pulling the studs out of the scoop.It helps to turn the nut while prying.... ending up being a 2 man job.When that is done,grab the studs sticking out of the hood with vise grips and remove the nut below.Use epoxy to glue the studs back into the scoop.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
Use epoxy to glue the studs back into the scoop.
Try JB Weld. I read on another forum (can't remember which) that if you spray the studs with Pam before you stick them in the "wet" JB mix and they may thread out.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.