Author Topic: 69 Dearborn Mach 1 Interior Door Paint  (Read 2427 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Dearborn Mach 1 Interior Door Paint
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »
I need to confirm that the interior door bottom was painted to match the interior color on a Mach 1? I read the post for a 68 car, but I cannot find any posts on 69 cars. How high should the paint go from the bottom of the door, how far under the bottom of the door it extends, or if it was left body color and no interior color applied.

This is for a Jan 27 build.

Thanks

65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Dearborn Mach 1 Interior Door Paint
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:10:48 PM »
I need to confirm that the interior door bottom was painted to match the interior color on a Mach 1? I read the post for a 68 car, but I cannot find any posts on 69 cars. How high should the paint go from the bottom of the door, how far under the bottom of the door it extends, or if it was left body color and no interior color applied.

This is for a Jan 27 build.

Typically the factory didn't paint the interior door surface with interior paint on 69 Mach I's. No purpose for it (save a few cents) since the door panel covered the area. Normally just done on cars with standard interior door panels

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:02:17 PM »
Jeff - thanks for clarifying.

65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »
Couple of easy to find examples showing nothing but body color from that plant and that general time period

Jeff Speegle

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:11:20 AM »
69 with standard interior used shorter door panels which required the exposed metal to be painted interior color. The Mach1 pictured used the deluxe door panels which covers the flat areas thus not requiring interior paint.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 12:36:05 AM »
I thought I'd share a pic off my old SCJ Mach Auto drag car.   The car had a repaint in a Lacquer real candy apple red paint job in 1973.  The car was raced and pretty much other wise all original.  Notice they poorly taped off the door jam.  Notice the lower door.  They did black this one out.  SJ built jan 69.   Now over the years I have thought about this and I was thinking maybe they did it at first as it came down the line because they thought it was standard interior non Mach?   Just an Idea.  Either way it is unusual and of course you can never say never. 

MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 12:42:06 AM »
I thought I'd share a pic off my old SCJ Mach Auto drag car.   The car had a repaint in a Lacquer real candy apple red paint job in 1973.  The car was raced and pretty much other wise all original.  Notice they poorly taped off the door jam.  Notice the lower door.  They did black this one out.  SJ built jan 69.   Now over the years I have thought about this and I was thinking maybe they did it at first as it came down the line because they thought it was standard interior non Mach?   Just an Idea.  Either way it is unusual and of course you can never say never.

Thanks for sharing - the car at least appears to have been repainted or at least jammed at some point (door latch screws are painted)

Have seen one other example where the painter/masker didn't match the detail to the application this your example. This is why its important (when possible) to document the car before you start stripping so that these unusual - non typical details can be preserved/document and reproduced if the owner chooses to. Think the other example was a Dearborn 69

Thanks again
Jeff Speegle

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 05:03:18 AM »
Yes the jams were painted, but not cleared and polished like the outside.  The car was originally Indian Fire red.   When you look at the terrible paint job they did, it is amazing they did tape off the black. If you can see it in the picture, there is over spray on the lower half of the door panel.   
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:07:03 AM »
.............. If you can see it in the picture, there is over spray on the lower half of the door panel.

Wow - thought that was a reflection  in the vinyl  ::)
Jeff Speegle