Author Topic: Trunk Mat Burtex 1967 Convertible  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
Trunk Mat Burtex 1967 Convertible
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
Hi, I'm looking to replace my felt trunk mat 1967 CV.

Have searched......original was Burtex plaid with stitched corners.

Believe its really hard to find NOS or really good condition part.

Nevertheless,  I found a "similar" trunk mat , see picture.

Plaid with Burtex, but no stitches.

Seems to be a "compromize" unless smb has this as NOS part to sell :-)

However, I'm a bit struggeling with the picture......is it really plaid structured or something else? Looks like more a "felt, or "cotton"" on A-surface.
Could it be that only B-Surface is shown?

Or does it looks like the spare tire cover in real, as I'm expecting talking about plaid.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ralf (GER)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:03:26 AM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk Mat Burtex 1967 Convertible
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:53:27 PM »
Hi, I'm looking to replace my felt trunk mat 1967 CV.

Have searched......original was Burtex plaid with stitched corners.

Believe its really hard to find NOS or really good condition part.

Nevertheless,  I found a "similar" trunk mat , see picture.

Plaid with Burtex, but no stitches.

Seems to be a "compromise" unless smb has this as NOS part to sell :-)

The shops have had difficultly finding a supplier that can provide one already stitched (we've asked a number of times) as it seems that the workers refuse to do the work due to the off gassing of the product after it is made. Just what has been communicated to use

Its only a compromise if you just want something you can pop out of the box than install in the car. Many owners and shops add the corner stitching to produce a reproduction much closer to the original. Done it a number of times not fun but allot more fun than allot of other tasks and its clean work ;)

A couple of shots showing the backing/jute. Originals can take on a brown or goldish tone, possibly due to contact with other materials.

Three examples side by side showing some different jut backing from NOS and original

Couple of pictures of originals here

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11910.msg72029#msg72029

However, I'm a bit struggling with the picture......is it really plaid structured or something else? Looks like more a "felt, or "cotton"" on A-surface.
Could it be that only B-Surface is shown?

Or does it looks like the spare tire cover in real, as I'm expecting talking about plaid.

Tire covers are not something that was originally used on any of these vehicles and the material typically used on those is a felt backed vinyl - nothing like the material used for the original trunk mats
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »
Jeff,
Is the picture with the corner stitching an original Ford, or the Burtex material that ACC uses to make their mat? I have been debating if I wanted to purchase the ACC Burtex mat. Did you have someone stitch the mat to make it look correct?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:13:34 PM »
Jeff,
Is the picture with the corner stitching an original Ford, or the Burtex material that ACC uses to make their mat?

Not sure who made that specific mat - shop purchased it for a Dec 67 GT500 project I was shepherding from NPD I believe

I have been debating if I wanted to purchase the ACC Burtex mat. Did you have someone stitch the mat to make it look correct?

Like most projects I did that myself using a pattern I made after measuring an original. Guess I could put together an article of how I did it. Took pictures of the process, as I often do, so that I could sometime in the future.

Comparison between an original and a reproduced stitch

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 12:16:43 AM »
I know that ACC came to a friends shop R+A Motorsports to look at samples of the stitching and original mats that I provided samples of  for the purpose of them making up a higher quality Burtex like mat. I did it in the hope that a better alternative will be available . They sent back two sample mats and they looked great.You might email them and see if they are available now. If you can't get anyone at ACC that knows what you are talking you may want to email R+A Motorsports and see if they can order one for you.worst case scenario you can always sew it yourself . Most originals look like a 10 year old sewed it.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:50:30 AM »
I'm about to buy this ACC burtex trunk mat plaid CV. But don't know the best source.

- CJ is offering ACC trunk mat, cheap price
- Kentucky Mustang offers also ACC, medium price
- ACC itself, but on a higher price level.
- Scott Drake, but not clear to me which source? Higher price. ACC? Does anybody know their source /can confirm that this is an ACC part as well.?

May be I find a german source to stitch it. Gonna ask our Kindergarden ;D

Any others?

Nevertheless, it also matters, at least to me, the corresponding shipping cost to Germany I need to evaluate

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:22:35 AM by Ralf »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
ACC sells one that is already stitched that is not too bad. NPD may handle them.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 03:58:11 PM »
Great to hear that someone is finally having these presewn - not that it was that bad of a job.  Now, hopefully, they don't come trimmed around the rear bumper support brackets   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »
Great to hear that someone is finally having these presewn - not that it was that bad of a job.  Now, hopefully, they don't come trimmed around the rear bumper support brackets   ::)
Something we pointed out but who knows  ::) . The fastback mat I ended up with for the use of my mat (already sold it) was right on the money .Wether that accuracy continues remains to be seen. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:49:14 PM »
They are not cut for the bumper support brackets but do come with the extra to cover them if you choose to do it that way.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 09:14:12 PM »
They are not cut for the bumper support brackets but do come with the extra to cover them if you choose to do it that way.

Have seen them in reproduction both ways - the reason for asking - thanks

Find those little pads sometimes come in helpful to pad a jack stand for short periods in a pinch :)
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:50 PM »
Okay, so we're referring to the ACC Burtex reproduction here, or another? 

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 11:35:26 PM »
Okay, so we're referring to the ACC Burtex reproduction here, or another? 

-Keith
ACC mat.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 12:55:25 AM »
Thanks, Bob. I'll order one.

Offline Ralf

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
Thanks, Bob. I'll order one.
Ordered as well.....Jesus....starting $139>> ending up incl. shipment, fees, taxes..... 260. :-X