Author Topic: Best Carpet Available  (Read 6890 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Best Carpet Available
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:26:03 PM »
Looking at buying my carpet..... who makes the best most original looking carpet?

I understand that by ordering direct from ACC you will get the best available, the cost is $230 for a set.

What has everyone discovered about carpet. Thanks
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Murf

Re: Best Carpet Available
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
Not sure that buying directly from ACC assures one of a better product.  I have had several sets drop shipped direct from them and trust me, they were no better (or worse) than the ones from Va Mustang and NPD.  I have had issues with several things and took a pretty firm stand on refusing to install shoddy or thin or ill fitting carpet.  Ended up getting the mass backed - you have to ask for it by name - and found it to be as good as it was going to get.  Still not nearly the quality of the carpet Ford put in your Mustang in 68 but at least it fits, is not prone to being as transparent as a screen door and  it weighs about 42 pounds as compared to the 15 pounds of the regular ACC carpet.  If you call VA Mustang they are aware of this product and although it is not a catalog item they will get it for you at a very reasonable additional cost.  ($50.00 additional the last set I ordered, about one month ago.)  Again, the quality is not that of the factory issue but it is as good as you can do at this point.  As an aside, i imagine that if you order the "mass backed" it WILL be drop shipped from ACC rather than from VA Mustangs stock, so your concern about a direct buy will be taken care of,  and with a bonus of a reduction in the price.  Hope this is some help to you.  The product will be called RAYLON, so you may want a sample to compare before you pull the trigger on a purchase.  Some debate exists as to 68 carpet  being nylon or rayon.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:50:35 PM by Murf »
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:45:31 PM »
Would always go through (when purchasing carpet for example) a large company. My thought is that if you have a problem your only a single individual when you call with a problme or an issue. If you deal through a company that buys them from a supplier then they have allot more influence when they call to get the problem fixed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »
I, after going through 2 sets of carpet (my restorer did) would highly recomend taking your car to a GOOD upholstery shop and having them provide and profesionally install your carpet, you will be money ahead and have a great fitting carpet-something that absolutely cannot be had out of a box!

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »
NOS or Original OEM Carpet fits the best.  The ACC stuff is not molded correctly.  it fits better with out the burlap on the back.   I have reciently aquired some original manufacture black, and green vert carpet, it wasn't cheap but fits like a glove 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 12:24:02 PM »
It does take some work to get repro carpet to fit, but usually, it will go in and look ok.  The only consistent problems I have seen are the RH toe board area.  Always seems to be a wave that sticks up in the middle.  Could be remedied by a little glue though.

Who was the OEM manufacturer of the 2 carpet sets you received Nate?  Are they 80/20 or full Nylon?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 06:16:36 PM »
I wonder IF ANYONE could use the NOS or OEM stuff to make a CORRECT fitting carpet then! someone now over 45 years ago made the carpets for our Mustangs and it fit properly...I can't for the life of me understand why with the technology we have in the world today in 2009 that no one can seen to make a good fitting carpet????

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »
Collins & Aikman were one of the OEM suppliers to Ford for carpets back then.  They are actually still in business today, with concentration on plastic injection molded parts.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »
WOW!!!!!! Someone needs to get these folks to start making auto carpet again!!!

Offline baflstangobx

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »
MASLAND CARPET  in Carlisle, PA.  That's right, you drive right by there on the way to the fairgrounds.  You used to be able to buy from them.  Not anymore.

Offline slim

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
WOW!!!!!! Someone needs to get these folks to start making auto carpet again!!!

Wild guess! In my day we used to say SWAG. $500 a set is probably not near enough to get them interested!

Unless you've been in manufacturing outsourcing you can't imagine how cheap as in low cost you can obtain something to almost no specs. To get it right costs $.

!000s of Mustangs is low volumn! Car interior makers/supplers quote on 100,000 quantitlies. Go to an upholstery place and ask for guess/estimate on an auto carpet.
68 Mustang vert. 289 2V, automatic, power disc brakes, power steering, factory AC.
Lime gold, black top with glass window. Standard black interior.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »
I don't think you'd pay a professional upholstery person/shop $500.00 to supply and install carpet in an early Mustang provided it was taken in w/o anything on the floor to cause extra labor.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »
Since this thread is 3 years old I figured there may be some new info on carpet.  Any updates on the quality issues expressed here?  Any other companies making any decent carpet?  I have a "new" 33 year old set of ACC still in the box that is too small to fit in the car.  It appears to have been cut wrong and I'm just finding this out now! And, no, they won't take it back; their warranty is only 1 year.

The interior is next on my list and I need some decent carpet to get things started.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:20:50 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »
Since this thread is 3 years old I figured there may be some new info on carpet.  Any updates on the quality issues expressed here?  Any other companies making any decent carpet?  I have a "new" 33 year old set of ACC still in the box that is too small to fit in the car.  It appears to have been cut wrong and I'm just finding this out now! And, no, they won't take it back; their warranty is only 1 year.

The interior is next on my list and I need some decent carpet to get things started.

Is it possible that what you have is for a 64.5? I'll bet the rest of ity fits pretty well being is its that old......

There are newer threads going on on the other sites, but the general concensus is there is only 2 manufacturers of carpet-ACC and Trim Parts.....

ACC's carpet sets today are crap at best, and Trim Parts aren't much better.

I'm wondering what the heck these people use to mould these carpets? can't be an original floor pan.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 07:05:08 PM »
frustrating for sure--all the hard work we all put into these cars and we are at the mercy of the carpet companies for such an important piece of the completed puzzle.   :'(

(No it is not for a '64 1/2,  convertibles had the carpet all the way up)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"