Author Topic: Underside paint on 66 steel Hertz hood  (Read 2320 times)

Offline poboy427

Underside paint on 66 steel Hertz hood
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
I'm getting closer on the restoration of my steel 66 Shelby hood. I was wondering if the underside of the Hertz hood was just Raven black or Raven black with a coat of semi gloss sprayed over it? My car was built late Nov 65. According to the attachment below my hood could have been installed by SJ or SA??

Interesting. The skin had a recessed area stamped in the skin and then the scoop was flush set and leaded in. I did not know that the frame work also had a recessed stamped area similar to the skin. These were not just Mustang hoods that had a scoop added at Pigeon Mfg. The hood frame has a Ford date code (8 27 5 C). Apparently after Pigeon MFG received the skin and frame they ran the frame and the skin through some type of stamping die, also stamping the holes for hood pin post and reinforcement before the two pieces were mated. Thanks Ray

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:49:38 PM by poboy427 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Underside paint on 66 steel Hertz hood
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »
Not sure what area your referring to as "recessed" since the area under the scoop was all cutout unlike the small round holes since in some 65 Hoods.

Can't identify any recesses (at least the way I'm understanding your description) areas on original Pegion hoods I'm looking at or have seen. Almost seen more off the cars, as surplus hoods dumped on the local body shops than originals cars with them. Never met or talked to anyone who worked there

Finish on original examples appears to be the same/similar to the fiberglass/steel framed hoods - No body color over just a semi-low gloss black with very limited body overspray from painting the top and edges of the hood. One tip off is that the runs on the bottom of some original hoods run a different direction than they would if they had been hung anbd painted on the bottom at San Jose ;)

What is your cars number?  Really don't want to spend the time looking it up :)

Couple of black original paint and steel hood cars so you can compare the finish on the car to the bottom of the hood.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:28:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:16:16 AM »
Are you talking about the all steel hood or the one with a steel frame and fiberglass top?
If you are talking about the all steel hood, please look at the attached picture from 6S923.
Texas Swede P.S. Car is Ivy Green

Offline poboy427

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:09:21 AM »
Jeff, I don't see where the hood depicted in your first pic has a functional scoop. My car, 6s554 has a pie pan size hole to breath thru. I thought all the steel hooded Hertz cars were functional. I will post pics tmrw.

Ray

Offline poboy427

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:33:45 AM »
Yes Swede my all steel hood looks like yours. My hood is stripped to bare metal so I will post some close up pics of the recessed stamping details I mentioned.

During the month of Nov 65 there was supposedly a transition period when SJ stopped installing the hoods and Shelby began install them. My car left SJ in late Nov 65 was invoiced out of SA on 12/28/65.

Since my car is on the boarderline of the transition I will probably never know if Shelby installed my hood or SJ. If the timeline I've seen is accurate my hood was probably installed by SA.

My question was if anyone knew for sure if these black steel hoods were sprayed semigloss over the Raven black underside. Not sure if Shelby even sprayed Raven black on the underside. I know when I stripped what was left of the original paint it was pretty darn thin so might have just been semigloss over primer.
Ray

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:30:19 AM »
Jeff, I don't see where the hood depicted in your first pic has a functional scoop.

Very much function - just the hood open from below shot does not show the leading edge that is located being the inner liner support. Very functional but the original leading has caused issues with the original paint over the years.  This is a recently discovered unrestored black Hertz from the Bay (Calif) area

Exterior shot of the second (from my other post)  steel hood picture I posted.

Have about a dozen steel hoods with the full area cut away from below  But these are later cars and in your first post you didn't specify what period you were looking at

Do have the round hole versions (pictures of) also but not as many of that version . Might (since both of you have yours handy) interesting to compare the stamping dates of the liner to focus on the/a period in time.

I'll start ;)  - One of the round hole versions I have pictures of has an inner liner date of 8 (Aug) 28

Looking at the 500's I have cars with the round holes (one other the sister car to yours) about a half dozen with the full cut outs and a handful of steel lined glass tops. Not telling how many have been changed after two or more "restorations"  Just sharing what I've got for the good of the discussion :)

My question was if anyone knew for sure if these black steel hoods were sprayed semigloss over the Raven black underside. Not sure if Shelby even sprayed Raven black on the underside. I know when I stripped what was left of the original paint it was pretty darn thin so might have just been semigloss over primer.

Semi-gloss black would not have been Shelby's typical practice looking at the other hoods they painted as mentioned above. And at least the later cars appear to have not been repainted with body color on the bottom either going by what I've got of original paint cars. Found another one with paint runs on the bottom side running back wards from the direction they would have been if painted at San Jose or Shelby - IMHO suggesting that they arrived with the bottoms already painted like the fiberglass and steel examples

Ray - What is this recessed area that you referred to in your first post?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:53:22 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline poboy427

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »
Here is a couple of pics of the recessed stamping areas on underside. date code 8 27 5C

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:09:51 PM by poboy427 »

Offline poboy427

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 01:44:53 PM »
Thanks to Jeff and Swede for their responses. Wonder now about when the "pie pan" size hole was dropped on the Pigeon hoods.You mention latter Hertz cars got the full opening hood style. I don't see the recesses in Swede's  hole hood so we can narrow the recesses a bit right there.

Further, I would be interested in knowing about when the last car was shipped with a Pigeon steel hood.

I know that several steel hoods were sold at a Pigeon fire sale for cheap to area body shops so this is a tough question to answer.

Thanks again Ray