Author Topic: Trouble with window trim install  (Read 1107 times)

Offline sparky65

Trouble with window trim install
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:37:07 PM »
I had a real bad weekend working on the car.  It seemed like a fairly simple task to seal around the windows and snap my nicely finished trim back into place.  The back window went fairly well.  I ended up with beading compound all over but the trim snapped right in with a hit from the palm of my hand.  I still think that one clip in the center may not be totally caught but it looks okay.  The front was a total different fiasco.  The bottom piece went in fairly well but it needed more persuasion so I used a rubber mallet and a paint stick to beat it in place.  The trim looks fine but some where in that process the windshield started to form a crack from the area I had the most trouble with.  The side pieces were even worse.  I had to really pound on them to get them to catch.  I used new clips from AMK and I wondered if they were the problem or the vinyl top or maybe something with the trim itself.  I couldn't really tell what was the problem but even though the trim seemed like it was sitting right the clips hadn't fully caught and the trim would spring back out.  Now the trim is a mangled mess so I really need to re-do this but the frustrating part is not knowing what to do differently.  Any ideas?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe