Author Topic: EMERGENCY FLASHER 1966 MUSTANG  (Read 4613 times)

Offline KRAM350

EMERGENCY FLASHER 1966 MUSTANG
« on: January 28, 2016, 10:00:37 PM »
Does anyone have pictures or a description of where the emergency flasher unit is attached. Not the switch in the glove box, but the relay. The schematic shows a clip and location but very hard to see how it all attaches and exact location? Thanks 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: EMERGENCY FLASHER 1966 MUSTANG
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:25:02 PM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KRAM350

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:58:59 PM »
Thanks, really looking for the type clip, I figured out the location. The car I have had a plastic clamp that circles the flasher relay, but the schematic shows a 67 type flasher clamp?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 11:49:57 PM »
Thanks, really looking for the type clip, I figured out the location. The car I have had a plastic clamp that circles the flasher relay, but the schematic shows a 67 type flasher clamp?

Clip? Not sure what your referring to.

Is it the part that is above the glove box?  That is a thin flat plate that the screws attach and works as a retainer and reinforcement maybe 1/2" side and almost as long as the mounting bracket (slightly shorter if memory serves me tonight)

The clips used for flasher units were metal in 66  Don't recall a plastic clip for the flasher in 67 either
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 12:25:40 AM »
The flasher itself is held to the right of the glove box on the inner edge of the lower dash by C1TF-13351-A, bracket, 45144-S2, spring nut, and 42127-S2, screw, per the 1966 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, page 24. The bracket is a "universal' type in that the flasher can be inserted horizontally or vertically.
I suggest you get a set of 1966 Mustang Assembly manuals, plus the 64-65 Chassis. Those will answer 95 percent of your questions.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 02:45:39 AM »
The flasher itself is held to the right of the glove box on the inner edge of the lower dash ............. The bracket is a "universal' type in that the flasher can be inserted horizontally or vertically..................

Jim could you have gotten the location/direction backwards?

Guess your looking at  it in a typical diagram in the assembly manual.

I recall them being located towards the center of the car from the glove box rather than to the outside (passenger side) of the glove box
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:52:59 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 12:45:24 PM »
Jim could you have gotten the location/direction backwards?
Guess your looking at  it in a typical diagram in the assembly manual.
"Damn your eyes!" - to Marty Feldman from Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein.
As you surmised, I was looking at the drawing of the installation from the engine compartment side (sober too). Actually, I was going to change the reference to "between the glove box and ash tray", but took a sip.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »
Thought so  but confirmed my recall with a picture from the files, this morning
 From this angle looks to be below the glove box (almost the edge fo the box) on the inside towards the ashtray

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 02:42:15 PM »
I found some pictures of the flasher bracket that I "restored". Included is a picture of the flasher itself. The key to the flasher is to see if it's rated for two lamps or four. The two lamp version is a turn signal flasher (front and rear on one side), the four is for the emergency system where all four lamps are lit at the same time. The light blue flasher is an aftermarket replacement that "pops" into a hole to mount. It may fit the bracket.
Jim

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 03:58:30 AM »
Funny, My Dearborn (May 18th, 1966- Code18E-Projected Build Date) '66 vert has a factory White Plastic "P" shaped Emergency flasher holder.  It's 100% original.  I'll post some pics if anyone wishes to see it.  It's completely different from the metal bracket holder that Jeff pictured above.  I should investigate my '65 Dearborn vert and see what's under the dash in that car.  I've never looked.

KRAM350, You Wrote - "The car I have had a plastic clamp that circles the flasher relay" - Kram, That was most likely your original flasher holder.  Don't throw it away!

Obviously, Another area where Ford made a part change or substituted a different type part from original factory drawings.

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:12:12 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 04:48:33 AM »
Funny, My Dearborn (May24th) '66 vert has a factory White Plastic "P" shaped Emergency flasher holder.  It's 100% original.  I'll post some pics if anyone wishes to see it.  ..............

What makes  you believe that its original? Got to ask

Would love to see a picture so we all know what your referring to and maybe we can better discuss it after seeing it. How many others have you found on 66 Dearborns?
Jeff Speegle

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
My '66 vert is pretty much an original unmolested car... I bought it from the original owners. (An old Couple in their 70's at the time).  I'll get a pic up of the plastic holder up ASAP!.  It also has the look/feel of a Ford Made part with Ford Hardware... Not some dime store auto parts store. 

First Pic.  "Supposed" Factory installed clamp and position as found before disassembly.   I took this pic in 2008 as I was taking the dash apart many years ago.  If you look closely in the pic, You will see a long Black Human hair trapped under the clamp.  That was as found.  It was probably from the 60's Hippie at Dearborn who assembled the dash...lol....and Yes, I know about the "Non-Original" Metal patch in the Front floor board...lol..

Second Pic.  Taken today. 2/8/2016.  The part was still out of the car, So taking a pic of it was easy!...  Here it is.  It sure looks like a Ford part to me.  It looks like its made of the same Nylon plastic that Ford used. It also has Ford made attached nut and bolt.  Judge for yourself....and let others respond.

I have to admit, It's not a part that I have thought about much over the years...  I had a June '66 Dearborn Hardtop that I sold a few years ago, and I seem to remember it having the same part..

Thoughts?

Tony K.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:46:14 AM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 01:04:07 PM »
What's the build date of your "Sprint"? If it's in the same time frame as the other car, it could be a replacement for an assembly line shortage.
Jim

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
It's (May 18th, 1966- Code18E-Projected Build Date)... Dearborn Plant.

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 07:53:52 PM »
My '66 vert is pretty much an original unmolested car... I bought it from the original owners. (An old Couple in their 70's at the time).  I'll get a pic up of the plastic holder up ASAP!.  It also has the look/feel of a Ford Made part with Ford Hardware... Not some dime store auto parts store. 

First Pic.  "Supposed" Factory installed clamp and position as found before disassembly.   I took this pic in 2008 as I was taking the dash apart many years ago.  If you look closely in the pic, You will see a long Black Human hair trapped under the clamp.  That was as found.  It was probably from the 60's Hippie at Dearborn who assembled the dash...lol....and Yes, I know about the "Non-Original" Metal patch in the Front floor board...lol..

You're the seconds person I've run across who has this exact same Plastic Clip...now I wonder which is correct. I'm about to post my own question about a Clip that I have, whether or not it's correct and where it mounts.

Ray

Second Pic.  Taken today. 2/8/2016.  The part was still out of the car, So taking a pic of it was easy!...  Here it is.  It sure looks like a Ford part to me.  It looks like its made of the same Nylon plastic that Ford used. It also has Ford made attached nut and bolt.  Judge for yourself....and let others respond.

I have to admit, It's not a part that I have thought about much over the years...  I had a June '66 Dearborn Hardtop that I sold a few years ago, and I seem to remember it having the same part..

Thoughts?

Tony K.
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A