Author Topic: Battery Tenders  (Read 7962 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
Re: Battery Tenders
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »
I had 3 of these "Battery Tender" named units short out and fail on me before I switched brands 5 years ago.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline rodster

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 09:28:43 PM »
Update: I just inspected the 4 Battery Tender Junior units I have. 2 seem to be older and 2 are newer. The newer ones have a color code for the light on the top side.  The unit in use was one of the older ones. If the numbers on the back represent some sort of date code, my guess is 2005. All 4 units are made in China.

On closer inspection, I see the case housing is slightly melted and deformed.  I have a call into the manufacturer

I certainly would call them and find out if the older ones may have a design issue or if in fact it is an authentic Deltran unit.  Telling them the case is melted and deformed may get their attention.  ;)

Keep us posted.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline ajd350

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
I'm sure it will cause some eye-rolling, but I have been using the low current Harbor Freight cheap maintenance chargers  for about 8 years on four cars. The low current is enough to offset normal discharge but not enough to cause an overcharge. It just can't put out that kind of current. My cars get parked around the end of Nov. and sit until late April. They start up just fine. The Autolite AGM repro is going on 8 years now using these.  The rest are lead-acid and have been fine as well.
MCA #2254

Offline rodster

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
I'm sure it will cause some eye-rolling, but I have been using the low current Harbor Freight cheap maintenance chargers  for about 8 years on four cars. The low current is enough to offset normal discharge but not enough to cause an overcharge. It just can't put out that kind of current. My cars get parked around the end of Nov. and sit until late April. They start up just fine. The Autolite AGM repro is going on 8 years now using these.  The rest are lead-acid and have been fine as well.

You are a brave man putting your faith in HF electrical items.  ::)           ;D

Don't think would buy them but interesting to hear good feedback on those units.

Not sure other 'brand name' units are much better being made in the same country.

The Battery Tender by Deltran was the name to trust until this post.  ;)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 12:28:35 AM »
I'm sure it will cause some eye-rolling, but I have been using the low current Harbor Freight cheap maintenance chargers  for about 8 years on four cars.
That's my third one, from Harbor Freight. Used it on a spare battery that was sitting on my bench for a couple of months last year. No problems. I do keep an eye on them, an old habit. And it seems that just about anything electrical is made in China (just looked at my mouse - China).
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 04:37:11 AM »
The final update on the Battery Tender Juniors.  I sent my 2 suspect units back to the manufacturer and asked for them to evaluate them.

#1 Transformer case was deformed and this was the unit which caused the exploded Motorcraft Battery in my 88 McLaren Mustang. They said it had low output.  I asked about he deformed/melted case and they did not even notice it.  I was referred to the manager to see if something could be done since they were past the 5 year warranty.  The manager called back asking what I wanted but had no information from the conversation with customer service or the unit evaluation.  He was useless.  In the end customer service offered a replacement at a discount price of $25.  Not sure if that included shipping.  I declined and told them they are available on the internet for that price.

#2 The second unit apparently was a 6 volt charger! I don't know if it was packaged wrong or if I bought the wrong one.  Either way it's out of warranty and of no use to me.  If the battery had over 6 volts it would never turn on, otherwise useless to a 12 volt battery.  I did not expect anything on this one once I found out it was 6 volt.

I told them I was no longer a happy customer and could no longer recommend their products. I told them of these web board discussions.  I also mentioned how their competitor responded very differently.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline hopeto

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »
I told them I was no longer a happy customer and could no longer recommend their products. I told them of these web board discussions.  I also mentioned how their competitor responded very differently.
What were you expecting the manufacturer of the charger you purchased with a 5 year warranty to do with your 10 year old charger? Just curious?
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 12:39:03 PM »
I did not expect the manufacturer to do anything but I gave them the opportunity to do something.  I was very polite and professional with them and explained what happen.  I gave them a chance to do something which would have been very inexpensive to them.  Just because the warranty is expired does not mean you don't stand behind you product if it's a good product.

I am happy? NO.  Given the situation, I should not be happy with their product.  I'm not going to lie about them either.  In fact I am really pissed off that I allowed myself to be sucked in to buy such a cheap piece of junk to band aid the real problem.  Honestly, buying a new battery every year comes out cheaper in the long run!

I tried to be opened minded on this site by just stating the facts and let others make and educated choice when using these things.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 01:01:33 PM »

I tried to be opened minded on this site by just stating the facts and let others make and educated choice when using these things.

Kevin, Than you for initiating this post. Actually, you did help those of us who have bought the el-cheapo tenders to beware at least...I am now afraid to use mine unattended like I had been doing. It might be worth resetting the clocks and such, to just simply pull the battery out each year or during extended down time at least remove the cable.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
Kevin,

I agree with Richard. Thanks for posting. I'm sure a lot of members who make a habit of using these will be keeping a closer watch on them. Your heads up may have even saved a catastrophe.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline mwizz

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »
I've used a Projecta trickle charger for years now without an issue but reading this thread will make me pay more attention to it

Offline deaconhp

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »
Lectric Limited,

been using their battery tender for several years on my 72 vette, no issues and no trouble turning over the big block ever, even in the winter.
1969 T5 2Dr deluxe Coupe, Marti says 1 of 218, three in the registry and two of them are in Europe. Owned car since 1972 and disassm most reassemb myself
Oh, also have a one owner 72 Vette, 454 coupe. ordered when I got back from Vietnam, NCRS Top Flight, same disass reassm myself.. I know I know :)