1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1971 - 1973

71 Mach 1 trunk

(1/4) > >>

Ashley:
 Anyone have any photos of trunk sound deadener and spatter paint application?   Any info would be helpful!

nham3407:
Mainly pictures of 72 as that was the car I was restoring.  I do have a few from a Boss 351 original paint car that went through Perkins collection several years ago.

The 71 uses the lighter gray and white fleck Zolotone. 

One point to note if you have the folding seat and trap door, the trap door should be installed first as the lower third of it should be oversprayed with trunk paint.  Mine trap door was not completed yet when I painted the trunk so that is a project still to be completed.

I have seen cars with and without the side marker lights painted over with trunk paint.  Mine appeared to have paint on them and they were quite gunky originals so I chose to over spray with spatter.

Hope these help.

J_Speegle:
Couldn't find any clear pictures of the sound deadener as applied to the inner quarters. SO hard to make out the texture with the old fleck paint over it :(

Basically IMHO cover the inner surface staying back from the back edge by 4-6 inches, away from the top edge about the same follow the curve of the wheelwell moving forward but away from it from 6-8" as the pattern travels forward towards the front of the car. Believe like 70 the 71-73 the sound deadener was applied before the quarter panel was attached to the other panels

Here are some pictures I hope will help

Ashley:
 Thanks for all replies and photos, is the trunk paint a two part mixture?  Where to buy correct paint for 71 Mach 1.  Thanks,  Ashley

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Ashley on December 22, 2014, 05:53:38 PM --- Thanks for all replies and photos, is the trunk paint a two part mixture?  Where to buy correct paint for 71 Mach 1.  Thanks,  Ashley

--- End quote ---

No one part though many painters will clear coat it since its not very durable. The "flecks" are suspended in the paint mixture so you have to be careful about how its shaken or stirred before spraying

Not sure where to get the right color mixture - you can normally find it under Zolatone  but its all about the specific base color (black, white or gray) the number of different colors and which colors. It was applied to many car makes but each had their own specs it seems. To me the 71's color is more black (base) than light gray used on the 72-73's

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/Splatter-Finishes/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=autopaint&utm_content=zolatone&utm_term=zolatone%20trunk%20paint&utm_creative=b

http://www.quest-ip.com/trusted-brands/zolatone/

Duplicolor, \Napa and Eastwood both make their own brand and colors will again vary. And of course rattle cans will be much more delicate so suggest to clear coat as I did on my last one

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version