Author Topic: 1969 Firewall Pad from California Pontiac Restoration  (Read 4604 times)

Offline bjf1992

1969 Firewall Pad from California Pontiac Restoration
« on: January 01, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »
Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-Dynacorn-Mustang-Firewall-Pad-with-Ultra-High-Definition-Rubber-/331409936112?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d29924ef0&vxp=mtr

I am in need of one and I know the repo's out there aren't even close. Didn't know if this was new to market.
1969 Q Code Standard Cougar Convertible P/S, P/B, A/C
Pastel Grey, Lt. Blue interior Black Top
Built April 2nd, Dearborn

1969 Mustang Sportsroof
September 68 Build date, Metuchen

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: 1969 Firewall Pad from California Pontiac Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:57:15 PM »
Havent seen that one before, but to me its the texture that makes the difference between and original and any reproduction I have seen.  This one looks really smooth from the photos.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline bjf1992

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 12:08:19 AM »
You are correct it does look too smooth. I still have part of my original pad ('April '69 Dearborn) I have no experience with the fit of the other repo pads, but was under the impression they are not molded. This one appears to be molded. I was hoping someone would be able to comment on the fit. I was going to try to texturize this pad with undercoating to get the finish. I just didn't want to spend the $$ if it doesn't fit any better than the cheap pad.

1969 Mustang Sportsroof

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »
Havent seen that one before, but to me its the texture that makes the difference between and original and any reproduction I have seen.  This one looks really smooth from the photos.

+1  Not even close IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
+1  Not even close IMHO
+1 . That one has been called the "concours "correct mat by some parts vendors. When I saw it in person it was apparent it was not. It is easier to make the economy pad look close with some doctoring(Dearborn) then that "concours" mat. Very disappointing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bjf1992

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I still have an extremely rusty '70 Dearborn Cougar convertible to part out. Will have to hope the pad is still good on that one.

1969 Mustang Sportsroof

Offline emptys

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »
Is there some chance of getting a better picture of the texture of an original firewall pad?   There are some good images posted on other threads, but they don't really emphasize the texture nor the dots ... its hard to tell if the dots are "pressed into" the surface, or if they're part of the plastic itself.
69 428 GT -- 9F02R -- build date 10/11/68

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 01:55:27 PM »
Not really answering your question directly, but the dot style is unique to San Jose and I would say it is pressed into the material.  The Dearborn and Metuchen pads have a "smeared" look, for want of a better description.  Sure makes it easier to repair one!
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »
Not really answering your question directly, but the dot style is unique to San Jose and I would say it is pressed into the material. The Dearborn and Metuchen pads have a "smeared" look, for want of a better description.  Sure makes it easier to repair one!
Or "spray texture" is another descriptive term that a lot of people refer to the look on the Dearborn/Metuchen pads.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »
I agree, the Dearborn/Metuchen firewall pads can usually be duplicated by undercoating the reproduction.  That's always got them fairly close for me.  That being said, I have no idea how you would successfully reproduce a San Jose dot pattern.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »
Since this thread is basically about '69 firewall pads, I will throw out there that I have seen two San Jose pads that look just like Dearborn/Metuchen pads - no dots or dimples.  One is a '69 car and the other a '70.  So I guess they didn't all get the dimpled pad - at least in these years.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:52:42 PM »

I agree with Jim and can absolutely positively confirm that not all cars from San Jose came with the dimpled firewall pad.  Here is a picture of a San Jose car I parted out last year that was as original as you could find - no rust and no repairs ever.  Beautiful firewall pad and you can see is not dimpled.

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »
Think the whole dimpled firewall pad may be one of those details have has migrated from one year or years to another.  Would like to see more examples but its looking like this was a detail that possibly stopped in 68 and suppliers changed for San Jose during 69 production
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »
Jeff - the pad in my 3/69 built SJ car has the classic dimpled pattern.  I thought that was typical/normal until I tried to find one to buy for my SJ Grande.  The two I found were both like Dearborn/Metuchen pads.  Really confused me.  Still don't really know what is normal, but I can say with certainty they were using the dimpled pad in 3/69 at SJ.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 11:29:15 PM »
Guess we need an effort to collect what originals remain out there to figure out what was going on during 69 and 70. May turn out to be one of those jumbled findings with just a mix - only time will tell.

At least the odd are better since we have Cougars also to check and offer data points.  Need to take a break for other things and make some yard visits. By the time I get to most of the 69-70 in shops locally the pads are out and the trash guy has already picked up :(
Jeff Speegle