Author Topic: '67 Mustang "original drivetrain"  (Read 1307 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 Mustang "original drivetrain"
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:13:27 PM »
With the absence of an actual vin# stamp....Am I correct that the term "original drivetrain" or "matching numbers" with respect to a '67 mustang engine block, transmission and rear end would mean the engine casting number is correct, the actual casting date fits the build date of the car, the transmission has the correct ford number and the rear end tag matches the specs on the Marti Report?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '67 Mustang "original drivetrain"
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:55:30 PM »
The terms only mean IMHO what the user chooses them to mean . Kind of like the terms "restored" and "rebuilt"  During discussions I've always found a value in asking the user to explain what they meant by the term used.

To me on a car that did not have a VIN originally applied to the engine or trans (some 67's did) "matching" would then fall to the casting, assembly and other dates applied to the parts, id tags or subassemblies and how well they fit what might be expected for that year and plant.  Of course the engineering numbers would also be checked to confirm they also fit the expected configuration.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)