Author Topic: Clutch rods, equalizer bar, brackets, and Hurst shifter rod finishes for 1971  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Mike.Griese

Hello - I tried search but came up empty.  I am looking for guidance on the finishes for the clutch and gearbox activation parts.  The MCA judging rules are a bit vague in these areas.  They merely state that the transmission "linkage" is Clear or Yellow Zinc dichromate, reverse lock rod is yellow Zinc dichromate in the Boss concours trailered/driven rules.  The transmission type is not specified and linkage is not a very precise term given the lack of transmission type.  The '71-'73 concours trailered/driven rules state that the linkage is phosphate and oil and that manual transmissions should have a lower shifter boot, so there seems to be some conflict in the rules.  Any insights are appreciated!
--
Mike

'71 Convertible

Offline P3sons

For reference when searching. Not as much information out there on the big body Mustangs.

My Boss 351 has manual transmission.
The 4 speed rods are yellow(gold) cadium.
The reverse lock out rod is silver cadium.
Confirmed with a MCA Gold Judge specializing in 1971/73.

The 2023 MCA rules for Concourse Trailered/Driven were still incorrect for the 1971 model.
MCA was referencing the 69/70 Bosses. I discuss with judges prior to start of judging. 
Paul Steinborn  Classic Automotive Ltd

1965 GT convertible K code San Jose 5R08K202XXX  3/26/65
1971 Boss 351  Dearborn  1F02R214XXX    6/9/71
1969 Mach 1  R code  Dearborn

Offline Tucson Bruce

Mike,
The clutch rods, equalizer bar and brackets are (Clear) zinc or cadmium (silver), and as Paul stated, the shifter rods are zinc or cadmium with a yellow dichromate finish, the levers on the rods are bare steel, the lever trunnions are yellow dichromate.  There was a rubber lower shift boot on both 3 and 4 speeds (the 4 speed version is very hard to find, and not reproduced).  The lock out rod is silver cad (or zinc) with a paint mark for ID.