Author Topic: Replacement Sheet Metal  (Read 3231 times)

Offline 9F94M567042

Replacement Sheet Metal
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:18:42 PM »
Hi All,

Looking for a good supplier of sheet metal replacement panels/parts for my 1969 Mercury Cougar. I am looking for the radiator support, front & rear fender aprons. I would like to obtain as close as possible to original tooling.
Original sheet metal would be great, but I'll settle for good quality replacements. NO CHEAP STUFF

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Replacement Sheet Metal
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »
West Coast Cougar Classics sells a lot of used parts; they are an excellent source for Cougars!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »
Best advice is to ask when ordering is "Is this part concours, exactly as Ford made it?" A friend is doing a 69 and the trunk drop offs are close but not really. One person will make it and all the suppliers sell the same part, right or wrong. Hate to say it, Buyer beware. I have bought just enough to know. Just talking with friends, If you are making a part, why not make it right?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »
Best advice is to ask when ordering is "Is this part concours, exactly as Ford made it?" A friend is doing a 69 and the trunk drop offs are close but not really. One person will make it and all the suppliers sell the same part, right or wrong. Hate to say it, Buyer beware. I have bought just enough to know. Just talking with friends, If you are making a part, why not make it right?
Not to be contrary but asking if the item is exactly the way Ford made it  of a seller doesn't garentee that it will be correct. Too many retailers do not know the difference and repeat what they were told by the MFG who is many times (not always) clueless.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 12:48:20 AM »
For me the first consideration is how much or how many panels do you need? I'm guessing that the car is stripped and blasted since this can sometimes (read often) double the number needed as you discover more damage and issues.

Then compare that to the possibility of purchasing a donor car for the panels as well as a ton of extra often better panels as well as, when done, parts you can sell to recover some or all of your original costs. This works especially well if you find a rust free car built at the same plant around the same time so that you can keep good dates on the sheet metal you choose.

Another practice that is being used on any unibody panel is not replacing panels but instead patching panels so that you can retain the original dates and spot welds. SHops often find this much easier and it produces a superior finished product in most case.

Give it a consideration - the old car hobby has used parts or donor cars for 50 plus years. For some reason the muscle car period (especially the Ford guys it seems) look at it as an extra cost rather than a cost saver  Remember the donor does not have to be the same in all ways. The closer the more usable - to your car.  so it can be the plain jane model with the smallest engine and such making it much more affordable

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
West Coast Cougar Classics sells a lot of used parts; they are an excellent source for Cougars!

WCCC also has a yard full of donor cars, and could probably provide exactly what you are looking for.  They are also very knowledgeable in what is "factory correct" and what is not.

Alternatively, try Cascade Classics http://www.cascadeclassics.com/
John is also an excellent source of correct Cougar parts and has the knowledge to help you make yours correct.

Good luck!
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!