Author Topic: Shelby Intake Manifold Restoration  (Read 6861 times)

Offline ddonzella

Shelby Intake Manifold Restoration
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:35:08 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions on how to restore the aluminum look of my Shelby intake manifold? June 12, 1969 Dearborn. I have used a professional car detailing aluminum cleaner and 00 steel wool to clean it but the aluminum finish is still mottled looking. Alumi Blast paint by Eastwood?

Thank You!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Shelby Intake Manifold Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
None of the seven earlier threads helped so far?  If not check them out. Aluminum valve cover, oil pan and transmission cases are all mentioned.

Remember the main body will be somewhat dark and have a flatter finish while the machined surfaces (carb mount and the intake bolt washer faces) will be bright from the fresh machining

Like the two contrasting finishes seen on these valve covers

Paint is likely to cause issues over time especially if you put a good coat on it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:02:14 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:16:43 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I only searched intake manifold not other aluminum parts. Sorry

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »
Just an update on the Aluminum restoration for my Shelby intake manifold. I found a company call Wilson Manifolds here in Ft. Lauderdale. I believe they have a couple of other U.S. locations. They have a proprietary method of cleaning aluminum manifolds that return them to their OEM finish. They did a magnificent job!! Additionally, they can repair broken aluminum and when they are done, you cannot see where the brake was! Same cast aluminum finish and such! Unbelievable work!!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »
Just an update on the Aluminum restoration for my Shelby intake manifold. I found a company call Wilson Manifolds here in Ft. Lauderdale. I believe they have a couple of other U.S. locations. They have a proprietary method of cleaning aluminum manifolds that return them to their OEM finish. They did a magnificent job!! Additionally, they can repair broken aluminum and when they are done, you cannot see where the brake was! Same cast aluminum finish and such! Unbelievable work!!
How much did they charge and can you post a picture of the results? Thanks
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »
They charged $125.00 Did a very nice job. trying to post the pictures??

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 12:56:55 PM »
Second pic.

Offline jmlay

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:31:36 PM »
Looks like it was glass beaded. I would not call that proprietary...
Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 11:40:38 PM »
"Proprietary" glass beads.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
Looks like it was glass beaded. I would not call that proprietary...

NOTE ON GLASS BEAD MEDIA BLASTING ALUMINUM COMPONENTS SUCH AS ALUMINUM INTAKE MANIFOLDS AND/OR VALVE COVERS
The media becomes embedded into the pores of the aluminum and once warmed to operating temperature of an engine, glass particles can (or will) dislodge themselves from the pores and could (or will) enter into the crankcase oil (read as internal surfaces) . Maybe your filter catches it...and maybe not.

Although glass beading looks much nicer than 50 year-old dirty aluminum, should you choose to use this method of "restoring" or "cleaning", however you might describe it, RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO CLEAN ANY INTERNAL SURFACES PERIOD! EXCLAMATION POINT!!!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
IF it was glass beaded I would agree with the comments. IMHO (thanks Jeff) it was NOT glass beaded. If you look into what Wilson Manifolds does for the NHRA and NASCAR industry its very interesting. They modify stock and build hi performance manifolds and they use a proprietary product to clean all sorts of aluminum manifolds. I asked about residue release problems. There is none. This same process is used on 2000 horse power engines where ANY residue could cause catastrophic failure. Just my .02 cents. BTW they can take a broken Shelby manifold and repair it without ANY sign of the repair! Amazing!